Burn a BDMV file

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
Silvi89pipetto

Burn a BDMV file

Post by Silvi89pipetto »

HI! I'm silvano. I've question about blu-ray burning. I use an Imac24 M1 macOS Ventura and I want to create a personal backup original copies of my DVDs and BD discs .I 've been copy on my hard disk an entire Blu-Ray movie with MakeMKV and I have theses files: AACS,BDMV,CERTIFICATE folder,discatt.dat. How can I burn theses files in a new Blu-ray empty disc to be played after in a normal BD player? Thank you so much.
Coopervid

Re: Burn a BDMV file

Post by Coopervid »

You have to check if the size od BDMV plus CERTIFICATE is smaller than 25 GB to use a single layer disc. If < than 50 GB you need a double layer disc. If the total exceeds 50 GB you can use CloneBD free version to strip out some languages you don't want. If it still exceeds 50GB you need the paid version of the program.

For cases 25GB and 50GB you use Imgburn and load the folders BDMV and CERTIFICATE and you are good to burn to disc. Please omit anything else that's present in your rip. Be aware that 50GB discs have two layers and the so called layer break is critical. Please read this to avoid issues there:

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/the-lon ... -tl.86133/
Silvi89pipetto

Post by Silvi89pipetto »

Hi!thank you so much for your response! I will try!
Silvi89pipetto

Post by Silvi89pipetto »

I’ve been check in the net but imgburn for Mac doesn’t exist…. I Try to find some alternatives but I can’t find a software that supports Hardware Defect Management and the possibility to create spare areas for errors….Do u have any idea? Thx
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

It has been a long time since I've had to burn an optical disc, but it looks like Roxio Toast still exists for the Mac. That software is what I used to use, 10+ years ago, to burn discs. It looks the 'Pro' version even burns blu-ray discs.

The Wikipedia page for ImgBurn says it officially supports Wine. I know Wine runs on the Mac because I occasionally have to use it to run some MikroTik network management software.

Are you sure you really need to burn copies of your movies? It is often a lot easier to just watch the rips than it is to watch a burned copy.
Silvi89pipetto

Post by Silvi89pipetto »

Hi good morning! Ok, thank for your help! The thing is that I have a lot of movies ( something more than 20years ) and I want to keep them secure. My idea to make backups of my collections it’s just in case some dvds become unreadables ( like some dvds of ALIAS😫), in this way I have just to burn a new disc to put on the in the original box…. And also to keep the maximum video/audio quality because I have a little nice cinema room!!!!
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

I suggest you keep the rips on HDD for storage. Just create a folder with the movie name for each movie, e.g. Terminator. Then in case of DVDs you save the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders in that, for BD you save BDMV and CERTIFICATE. If you want to make a disc, run Imgburn under Wine and import these subfolders for each disc you want to burn. To play on the Mac just use VLC.
Silvi89pipetto

Post by Silvi89pipetto »

Ok! Thank you! It’s the same thing with UHD movies? I keep just the 2 files with them?
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Yes. The two folders, not the two files to be correct.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Coopervid wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:48 pm
Yes. The two folders, not the two files to be correct.
Finder in macOS (the equivalent of Windows Explorer) treats the BDMV folder in a backup specially. It appears as a single file, even though it is a folder. To open it, one has to right-click or Control-click and select Show Package Contents from the context menu. If you're on the command line, you can change directories into it just like any other directory.

The CERTIFICATE folder is just a regular folder, btw.
bdmv.jpg
bdmv.jpg (24.49 KiB) Viewed 5598 times
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Thanks! I always disliked that Apple wants to "protect" the user from what's really going on. So I still struggle with my Iphone and Ipad when it comes to file operations.
Silvi89pipetto

Post by Silvi89pipetto »

I've been tryied to import some dvds e BD just to try, without the decryption function.( I'm not interested to convert them into others video formats, but just make a perfect 1:1 copy of Discs ).This program is working well! the only thing is dvds. The output format is .iso. I have to extract Video/Audio_ TS or can I leave the .iso format and just burn it? ( the burning program create itself audio video TS folders ?) Thanks
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Something is wrong with your workflow. Makemkv doesn't create ISOs. And you need to check "remove protection". For both DVDs and BDs: Insert your disc. Wait until Makemkv has read it in. Then click the 2nd icon from the left in the bar below "File" "View" "Help" and it will make the folders.
Silvi89pipetto

Post by Silvi89pipetto »

Ok! Really thx for your help! I will try!!
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Coopervid wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:18 pm
Something is wrong with your workflow. Makemkv doesn't create ISOs.
The most recent version of MakeMKV now has support for making a decrypted backup of a DVD. It produces a file with a .iso extension. Making a backup of a blu-ray or UHD produces a folder with the BDMV, CERTIFICATE, and MAKEMKV folders as it has always done.