Bluray menus scrambled when backing up a bluray on Apple Silicon (M1 )

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
polytrauma

Re: Bluray menus scrambled when backing up a bluray on Apple Silicon (M1 )

Post by polytrauma »

dcoke22 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:22 pm
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questio ... can-i-dele

According to that, there's some disagreement about being able to remove the attribute. One guy says he could remove it, another guy says he couldn't.

Mr. Oakley over at Eclectic Light Company always writes good stuff.
https://eclecticlight.co/2023/03/13/ven ... new-xattr/
Wow! ELC is really a helpful ressource. Thanks a lot for sharing!!!
I will dive into this soon…
Thanks again.
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

polytrauma wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:23 pm
dcoke22 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:43 pm
I haven't tried Ventura yet, so I haven't noticed this situation.

However, there's a program called 'dot_clean' that should be included on your Mac that seems like it will help with this problem.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questio ... rk-storage
Thank you very much for this hint. This could be an option to disable ._ files.
However I'm curious WHY Ventura on M1 and M2 is adding extended attributes to my bluray backup?!

I did some research and now it gets really strange:
In terminal I checked what extended attributes are stored along the /PASSENGERS2016/BDMV folder (Package) with

Code: Select all

xattr /path/to/BDMV
The listed extended attribute is a new one and is called "com.apple.provenance". It seems still undocumented by Apple - and its hard to remove. I found some threads where users and applications ran into problems if this attribute appears. And they are unable to get rid of it with

Code: Select all

xattr -d
What the hell is com.apple.provenance??? Obviously this EA is glued to my backups for some reason and causes the ._* files when copying it to file systems which doesn't support extended attributes (i.e. ExFAT and NTFS). There is hardly information on this topic. But it could affect sandboxed applications. And I think MakeMKV is sandboxed (I can see a sandox.conf in a hidden .MakeMKV folder)

Of course the solution is simple to just remove the hidden files, but I would appreciate to know why this happens and what exactly this EA is good for...

Does anyone have a clue? However, concerning MakeMKV this Thread is kinda solved :-) Thank you very much.
Apple use to be good, and now every OS they release is getting slower and slower with more headaches to go with it.

Asmcom :mrgreen:
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

asmcom wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:38 pm
Apple use to be good, and now every OS they release is getting slower and slower with more headaches to go with it.

Yeah, that's not wrong. I've been a Mac user since the early Mac OS X days, 10.2 I think. This is back when they were on PPC chips still. I remember that 10.3 and 10.4 both got faster on my same machine.

These days I'm more of trailing edge user. I'm on Monterey now (macOS 12), but I won't go to Ventura until just before whatever is next comes out. I find that the longer I wait, the more weird things are discovered and fixed before I get there.

I give Apple a lot of credit here. They're moving users and making changes with 30 years of baggage weighing them down. They've been relatively successful; more successful I think than Microsoft has been bringing Windows forward with a similar amount of baggage. (A reasonable argument could be made that MS has more powerful customers holding them back.)

Like many, I wish Apple would spend a release or two fixing more bugs than pushing new features. Mac OS already does a bunch of things that I don't care that much about, but everyone has their 3 favorite paper cuts that annoy them greatly.
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

dcoke22 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:54 pm
asmcom wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:38 pm

Yeah, that's not wrong. I've been a Mac user since the early Mac OS X days, 10.2 I think. This is back when they were on PPC chips still. I remember that 10.3 and 10.4 both got faster on my same machine.

These days I'm more of trailing edge user. I'm on Monterey now (macOS 12), but I won't go to Ventura until just before whatever is next comes out. I find that the longer I wait, the more weird things are discovered and fixed before I get there.

I give Apple a lot of credit here. They're moving users and making changes with 30 years of baggage weighing them down. They've been relatively successful; more successful I think than Microsoft has been bringing Windows forward with a similar amount of baggage. (A reasonable argument could be made that MS has more powerful customers holding them back.)

Like many, I wish Apple would spend a release or two fixing more bugs than pushing new features. Mac OS already does a bunch of things that I don't care that much about, but everyone has their 3 favorite paper cuts that annoy them greatly.
Yes I agree with you on this.

b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387