How to rip an .iso file with MakeMKV

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
Jules

How to rip an .iso file with MakeMKV

Post by Jules »

Hi, everyone!!

I want to make a backup with MakeMKV but I can’t load the .iso file. How can I do this?
Coopervid

Re: How to rip an .iso file with MakeMKV

Post by Coopervid »

You can't. You have to rip to folder and then use Imgburn to pick BDMV and CERTIFICATE and write the ISO.
ChromePlanet

Post by ChromePlanet »

You can rip any ISO file with MakeMKV simply by opening the file. I do this routinely after cloning a UHD or BD disc with DVDFab to ISO. If MakeMKV can't open the ISO file or returns an error, it may not have been created correctly. You can't just use DiskUtil to clone an encrypted movie disc to your drive.
theotherguy

Post by theotherguy »

FWIW, I'm doing my BluRay discs now, and I just select the folder that contains the 1)BDMV, 2)Certificate, and 3)MakeMKV folders within it. It has usually worked pretty well to create an ISO from that.
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

This subject comes up almost every week lately.

Why we can't just have the option to 'ISO' Blu-ray & UltraHD discs directly from MakeMKV I'll never know. It can already create an image of DVDs, but not BR nor UHD. With LibreDrive, it should be entirely possible.

I just want to have a true image of my discs backed up for posterity. Not decrypted, not just the folders & files that MakeMKV *thinks* I need, but an ISO image of the disc as a whole.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Enable LibreDrive by opening the disc to the title selection screen in MakeMKV.

Use DD to create an ISO from the disc

Code: Select all

sudo dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/some/folder/iso_name_here.iso
Obviously you'll have to replace the dev device with the dev device of your UHD drive and the folder path and ISO name but it'll work.
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

You gave me similar instructions for using ImgBurn over in this thread, but I could never make it work.

So I will give this new theory a try, as soon as you let me know what "DD" is???
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

A command that's used in a bash shell but quite frankly if you couldn't get it to work with imgburn you're not likely to have more success with dd

Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk

dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Radiocomms237 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:05 am
So I will give this new theory a try, as soon as you let me know what "DD" is???
dd (Unix) can be thought of as a low level copy command in Unix.

I think one of the complexities of trying to have MakeMKV create .iso files of blu-rays and UHDs is the UDF filesystem used on optical discs. Most blu-rays use UDF 2.5 (though some use 2.6). I know macOS doesn't have native OS support UDF 2.5. I'm pretty sure Windows doesn't either. And I'd guess most Linux distributions don't have it by default. Consequently, MakeMKV would probably have to add the capability to write UDF 2.5 .iso files to itself as opposed to being able to use the host OS's support for it. That would add a lot of complexity for a relatively small gain.

DVDs generally use UDF 1.02 which I think is relatively well supported across the various OSes.