MakeMKV still broken on Yosemite

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
DoctorHorsey

MakeMKV still broken on Yosemite

Post by DoctorHorsey »

I'm sorry if I'm overstepping something here. A few months ago I reported that the new version of MakeMKV no longer worked with OSX 10.10. It is reported as "damaged" when opening it and suggested to be moved to Trash.

I've been not using it since for obvious reasons, but today I wanted to see if it worked again. It does not. I also notice that my post about the problem has been removed. Again, I apologize if there's something I'm missing, perhaps Yosemite is no longer supported, but the download page still says OS X 10.7 or higher, so just a stab in the dark, maybe this is still supposed to work on OS X 10.7+, including 10.10? I hope so :)

Thanks!
dcoke22

Re: MakeMKV still broken on Yosemite

Post by dcoke22 »

I think your older post is still around: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=28398
DoctorHorsey

Post by DoctorHorsey »

I'm sorry, you're correct, it's still there :D

I just went back to my control panel and this time I had no issue finding my posts. Must have had a bad brainy episode yesterday, when I couldn't find them :lol:

Anyway, thanks for responding on the original post. The reason I'm still on Yosemite is that a) You're right that my hardware (2015 Air) supports newer versions, but El Capitan introduced SIP which breaks some software I rely on. And b) I'm a 45-year-old grumpy developer, so I'm naturally adverse to anything new, and I hate the newer macOSes :lol:

Your suggestion doesn't apply, though. I do know about Gatekeeper, and on Yosemite it works in the way that you'll get a message that the app you're opening is from an unidentified developer, and going to security settings in system prefs you get the option to open it anyway. Which has always worked with MakeMKV until now. Just to be absolutely sure, I just tried right-clicking and opening that way, and I get the same message that the app is damaged.

Usually when an app is no longer compiled to be compatible with my beautiful Yosemite OS, the icon will reflect it by becoming grayscale with a "no entry" icon superposed on top of it. Not here, it's a different behavior from what I've seen before. This "the app is damaged" message is special.

In the OP I included the console log because I suspect it may have to do with the signing certificate. I previously had to copy over root certificates from a newer version of macOS after the heartbleed vulnerability invalidated a bunch of root certificates and these weren't distributed to Yosemite since it's EOL from Apple.

So... Yeah. I don't know. If I were the developer of MakeMKV and not an old grumpy fart like me that wishes somehow we could fork macOS at 10.10 and create a better OS, then I'd just go, "tough luck, boomer, Imma update the description to say version something-higher-than-yosemite-minimum and not spend more of my precious time on this," but I'm kinda hoping that since MakeMKV has been supporting 10.7+ for so long it's because somewhere there's an old grumpy fart like me in charge :D
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

You've really sparked my curiosity. What software are you relying on that doesn't support System Integrity Protection that was introduced in El Capitan in 2015? Presumably it is something with an unsigned kernel extension?

Possibly I'm even more curious about why have software you're relying on that you choose to run on 2015 MacBook Air? And how is this your only computer hardware? I understand that computers aren't free and not everyone has money to throw at computer problems, but a few hundred dollars will get you a nice used Mac that you could run a newer OS on. Which might make a bunch of things easier and separate from whatever is keeping you tied to Yosemite.

In recent memory, I've run MakeMKV on 2017 Intel hardware on Big Sur and Mojave. (I skipped Catalina because it was crap, even at the end). I've also run MakeMKV on Big Sur and Monterey on M1 hardware. I suspect almost no one is running MakeMKV on Yosemite these days and I doubt the developer has hardware to test it on. I'm sure it is just a checkbox in Xcode for him and who knows if that's enough. I bet Apple doesn't even test it.

Lest you think I'm a Johnny-come-lately to macOS, my first Mac was a 1Ghz G4 TiBook running OS X 10.2. I remember side drawers, aqua, pin stripes, the idea that new OS's could be faster on the same hardware, and that Mac OS really meant "It just works." There are a lot of things that drive me crazy about the modern macOS but I don't think I'd want to go back to something like Yosemite and stay there forever. There are a lot of nice things in modern macOS too. :)

As a side note, it is probably possible to run Yosemite in a virtual machine, at least on Intel Mac hardware.

All this is a round about way of suggesting the most productive path forward might be to find different hardware running a newer OS to run MakeMKV on. I think there might even be a version of MakeMKV that runs on a Raspberry Pi.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Yosemite is old enough that it is hard to search for answers. :)

I did find this, which might be relevant.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/264 ... h/42072155
DoctorHorsey

Post by DoctorHorsey »

OMG, thank you!!!

Code: Select all

xattr -rc /Applications/MakeMKV.app
Boom.

I had actually already done the spctl --master-disable trick and allowed apps from "Anywhere" in Security settings long ago, but when double-checking the settings it was on "Mac App Store and identified developers." Re-enabling it, I got this, which I don't remember having seen before:
Choosing “Anywhere” makes your Mac less secure.

This selection will be reset automatically if unused for 30 days. Instead, you can allow an individual application from an unknown developer by control-clicking its icon and choosing “Open”.
I'm wondering if, after setting it (which I always do when setting up a new install), an update has changed this setting from being permanent to this 30-day thing. Or I'm just an idiot, both are possible (the latter probably more) :lol:

Anyway, super duper thanks. I can still use this machine for awhile for MakeMKV and ffmpegging with CoreAudio AAC :D

Oh, and with regards to your question to why Yosemite, this is my secondary music making system, with some older projects using older software than I currently use, but mainly it uses an old M-Audio firewire audio card the drivers for which I have been unable to get to work in anything higher than Yosemite. My other system is Windows, so this is my only macOS system.

Cheers :D