Registered version 1.7.1 on MacOS, cannot enable decryption for Handbrake on MacOS

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
cappy2112

Registered version 1.7.1 on MacOS, cannot enable decryption for Handbrake on MacOS

Post by cappy2112 »

I've just registered/licensed MakeMKV 1.7.1, I cannot enable decryption for Handbrake on MacOS 11.6.8 (M1 MacMini).
Does anyone know why this checkbox is disabled? I've seen it enabled previously, I don't know what makes the checkbox disabled though.
Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 4.08.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 4.08.11 PM.png (135.55 KiB) Viewed 6694 times
Thanks
Woodstock

Re: Registered version 1.7.1 on MacOS, cannot enable decryption for Handbrake on MacOS

Post by Woodstock »

Have you done this previously with an earlier version?

As I understand handbrake's interaction here, it is not set up to "chain" with another program. VLC allows such chaining, but handbrake...

Generally, with handbrake, you extract the files you want to process, then process them separately. It generally doesn't accept input from a separate source.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
cappy2112

Re: Registered version 1.7.1 on MacOS, cannot enable decryption for Handbrake on MacOS

Post by cappy2112 »

According to the Handbrake forum, this needs to be working in order for Handbrake to do its thing.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

cappy2112 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:21 am
According to the Handbrake forum, this needs to be working in order for Handbrake to do its thing.
nah you copy it with makemkv first then put in in handbrake you dont want it encode off the disc that puts alot of extra wear on the drive spinning for hours when i could be done in 1 hour
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
cappy2112

Post by cappy2112 »

Woodstock wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:11 am
Have you done this previously with an earlier version?

As I understand handbrake's interaction here, it is not set up to "chain" with another program. VLC allows such chaining, but handbrake...

Generally, with handbrake, you extract the files you want to process, then process them separately. It generally doesn't accept input from a separate source.
So what is that checkbox for???
cappy2112

Post by cappy2112 »

Billycar11 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:34 am
cappy2112 wrote:
nah you copy it with makemkv first then put in in handbrake you dont want it encode off the disc that puts alot of extra wear on the drive spinning for hours when i could be done in 1 hour
I've just spent that last several days using Handbrake alone (makemkv REALLY needs the queueing that handbrake has!!!), to compress DVD & blurry images that were already in files on my system drive. I didn't need to use makemkv before handbrake.
cappy2112

Post by cappy2112 »

cappy2112 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:41 am
Billycar11 wrote:
cappy2112 wrote:
I've just spent that last several days using Handbrake alone (makemkv REALLY needs the queueing that handbrake has!!!), to compress DVD & blurry images that were already in files on my system drive. I didn't need to use makemkv before handbrake.
That should be DVD & BluRay images ;-)
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

cappy2112 wrote:
Billycar11 wrote:
cappy2112 wrote:
i think handbreak only does dvd on its own bluray and UHD and hd dvd all need to go through makemkmkv first
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
cappy2112

Post by cappy2112 »

Billycar11 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:58 am
cappy2112 wrote:
Billycar11 wrote:

i think handbreak only does dvd on its own bluray and UHD and hd dvd all need to go through makemkmkv first
That's why I need this checkbox to work. I've compressed the first 3 seasons of Star Trek TNG from BluRay images (not the discs themselves) with handbrake, now I can't
run handbrake. Not sure what happened, but I think it's this damned checkbox.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Step back for a moment and think broadly about what the main purpose of Handbrake and MakeMKV.

The main purpose of Handbrake is to compress a video file.

The main purpose of MakeMKV is copy videos from plastic discs to files on your hard drive and remove the various DRM schemes employed on the plastic discs.

This implies a basic workflow. Use MakeMKV to rip, say, a few episodes of a TV show on blu-ray. This will remove the encryption and produce a bit-for-bit copy of the episodes. They will be in .mkv files. The next step, then, can be to use Handbrake on the .mkv files produced in the first step to produce smaller sized files.

Handbrake does not need to know anything about MakeMKV. It can operate independently on the output of MakeMKV; the .mkv files.

Rip with MakeMKV then compress with Handbrake works for most people most of the time. What, specifically, are you trying to do?
cappy2112

Post by cappy2112 »

dcoke22 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:07 am

Handbrake does not need to know anything about MakeMKV.
So what is the Handbrake checkbox for in the MakeMKV Integration dialog?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

cappy2112 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:02 pm
dcoke22 wrote:

I have used MakeMKV and Handbrake on macOS for years and I've never seen what you posted a picture of. I have never used any integration between the two. Probably there's a feature that I'm not aware of that makes use of it in some way. If you can help me understand what you're trying to do, I'm happy to help you try to figure it out. The basic rip with MakeMKV then compress with Handbrake doesn't need it.

I will add this… When VLC uses integration with MakeMKV, it is so MakeMKV can unlock the encryption on a disc so VLC can play it. VLC doesn't have an engine to defeat the encryption scheme of blu-rays and UHDs. If there is some reason for Handbrake to need MakeMKV to unlock the encryption on a disc, then that's probably what it is there for.
cappy2112

Post by cappy2112 »

dcoke22 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:12 pm
cappy2112 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:02 pm
dcoke22 wrote:

I have used MakeMKV and Handbrake on macOS for years and I've never seen what you posted a picture of. I have never used any integration between the two. Probably there's a feature that I'm not aware of that makes use of it in some way. If you can help me understand what you're trying to do, I'm happy to help you try to figure it out.
I've been using it for a long time too, it just stopped working suddenly.
As I mentioned above, I've got many dvd & bluray image files on my system drive. (I inherited a computer with the discs already ripped to the system drive, I'm now trying to compress them for Plex).

I've been compressing them with HB for the last several days. I've probably compressed over 100 episodes of Star Trek (various series) and about 10-20 movies. They are a mix of dvd images and blurray images, but mostly DVD. I did not encounter any decryption problems, whoever ripped them must have already decrypted somehow.

When I had about 20 entries (that seems to be a magic number though, I seem to remember a problem in the past, when the queue was 20 deep) in the HB queue, I tried adding more images to compress. That's when HB crashed. I have not been able to open any image files since then. I've uninstalled HB, rebooted (in case memory was corrupted), and reinstalled the same version of HB. HB still crashes whenever I open any image (including Images that had already been processed/compressed via HB).

Is there anything else I can delete on my Mac boot drive (without crashing/corrupting the OS) that may help get it working again?

I cannot get the activity log, as mentioned. The dialog is not visible to me, and is wiped clean when the program is restarted.

What more info can I provide?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

What do you mean, precisely, by image files? An ISO? Any idea how they were created?
cappy2112

Post by cappy2112 »

dcoke22 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:33 pm
What do you mean, precisely, by image files? An ISO? Any idea how they were created?
They are not iso files. For the DVD files, there is a VIDEO_TS directory with all of the necessary files..

For the Blurays, I see a BDMV and certificate files, and others.

I don't know how the images were created, but I do know that the person who did make them knew
what to do to decrypt and copy the files.