Registered version 1.7.1 on MacOS, cannot enable decryption for Handbrake on MacOS

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
cappy2112

Re: Registered version 1.7.1 on MacOS, cannot enable decryption for Handbrake on MacOS

Post by cappy2112 »

dcoke22 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:33 pm
What do you mean, precisely, by image files? An ISO? Any idea how they were created?
For example, I can open the dvd/BR image directories with MakeMKV, Handbrake, and VLC.
I'm able to watch the movies with VLC, although the BR movies take a long time before VLC starts to play them.
dcoke22

Re: Registered version 1.7.1 on MacOS, cannot enable decryption for Handbrake on MacOS

Post by dcoke22 »

I assume you can open an image directory in MakeMKV and then make an .mkv file out it? What happens if you try to compress that .mkv file with Handbrake?
cappy2112

Post by cappy2112 »

dcoke22 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:12 pm
I assume you can open an image directory in MakeMKV and then make an .mkv file out it? What happens if you try to compress that .mkv file with Handbrake?
Yes, makemkv can open the directories that cause HB to crash. Whenever I open anything in HB, it crashes now- even mkv files.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Handbrake crashing when you try to do anything isn't good. When you uninstalled Handbrake, in addition to dragging the Handbrake app to the trash, did you also delete the Handbrake folders in your user Library?

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.5.0/help ... ssues.html
Delete your HandBrake configuration data and presets (replace Username with your user name)
/Users/Username/Library/Containers/fr.handbrake.HandBrake/Data/Library/Application Support/HandBrake/
/Users/Username/Library/Application Support/HandBrake
cappy2112

Post by cappy2112 »

No, because I didn’t know where they were. I was under the impression that dragging the app to the trash can would also take its library files too. That is supposed to be one of the better features of MacOS. I will try this when I get home though.
Thanks
Last edited by cappy2112 on Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Dragging the app to the trash won't get rid of the stuff in Library. In theory, this is a feature. The stuff in Library should just be config stuff that shouldn't matter. But, it could be corrupted in a way that crashes Handbrake. Normally it means you can plop a new version of an app on top of the old one in the Applications folder and the new version 'remembers' all your settings and stuff because they're stored in config files in Library.
cappy2112

Post by cappy2112 »

dcoke22 wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:46 pm
Handbrake crashing when you try to do anything isn't good. When you uninstalled Handbrake, in addition to dragging the Handbrake app to the trash, did you also delete the Handbrake folders in your user Library?

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.5.0/help ... ssues.html
Delete your HandBrake configuration data and presets (replace Username with your user name)
/Users/Username/Library/Containers/fr.handbrake.HandBrake/Data/Library/Application Support/HandBrake/
/Users/Username/Library/Application Support/HandBrake
Did you mean this directory by any chance?
This is under /Users/MyUserName/Library/Containers
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 10.31.45 AM (2).png
Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 10.31.45 AM (2).png (19.76 KiB) Viewed 6684 times
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Yes. All that stuff. If you trash the app and the stuff in Library, then probably reboot (just to be safe), then install Handbrake again, I'm guessing it'll work. Anything that's in Library, Handbrake will generate again after you install and launch it. Any settings changes you've made will be lost.
cappy2112

Post by cappy2112 »

dcoke22 wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:28 pm
Yes. All that stuff. If you trash the app and the stuff in Library, then probably reboot (just to be safe), then install Handbrake again, I'm guessing it'll work. Anything that's in Library, Handbrake will generate again after you install and launch it. Any settings changes you've made will be lost.
I've removed HB again, deleted the libs, I've even deleted MakeMKV< because I know they somehow communicate with each other, based on the dialog that I've posted initially, rebooted, reinstalled HB. The problem persists. I'll try one of the daily builds now
cappy2112

Post by cappy2112 »

cappy2112 wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:49 pm
dcoke22 wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:28 pm
I've removed HB again, deleted the libs, I've even deleted MakeMKV< because I know they somehow communicate with each other, based on the dialog that I've posted initially, rebooted, reinstalled HB. The problem persists. I'll try one of the daily builds now
I've tried the nightly build -HandBrake-20220829051444-30533ff0b-master
no difference. I really wish there were a way to get the activity logs for this crash.

Are there any developers reading this thread?
wyperion

Post by wyperion »

Same problem for me, on Mac M1, no way for check the integration box for Handbrake. Apply button un-check the box...
It's seems there is a interdiction from MacOS...
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

The whole issue is about Handbrake being an application from "trusted developer" and MakeMKV being not. The way MakeMKV integration works - an instance of MakeMKV executable is launched by the host application (Handbrake) to do all the decryption magic. Because Handbrake is sandboxed app, MakeMKV is launced in Handbrake sandbox context. Which means, among other things, separate config files and inability to access internet. MakeMKV detects this and tries to cope - in theory, if one copies all settings and key files from /Library/MakeMKV into Handbrake container, Handbrake should just work. But it doesn't and crashes, there is some other sandbox issue or a related bug in Handbrake - I can't recall, it was some time I've looked at it...

There are two ways to make it happen:
1. Make a custom Handbrake build (w/o Notification) to run it out of sandbox
2. Or make some special code magic, that would permit handbrake inside sandbox to connect to MakeMKV outside sandbox. In theory, we can work this direction, if someone from Handbrake dev team commits to it...