MKV to Blu-ray Disc

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
tb303

MKV to Blu-ray Disc

Post by tb303 »

Hi,
once I've ripped the mkv can I convert it back to Blu-ray as a playable disc in bluray player ?
Woodstock

Re: MKV to Blu-ray Disc

Post by Woodstock »

If that's your intention, the answer is "with a lot of work". There are simpler ways to do it.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
tb303

Post by tb303 »

I want to make a backup collection of my 4K blu-rays onto blu-ray disc. So I can use the backups day to day, worry less about scratches and kids sticky fingers etc.
I bought some 50GB BD-R DL but 4K Darkest Hour has turned out to be 51.5GB even after removing all the non English soundtracks and languages.
Also got this error
AV sync issue in stream 1 at 0:00:00 with duration of 0.666ms : encountered overlapping frame, audio skew is +0.666ms
AV sync issue in stream 2 at 0:00:00 with duration of 0.666ms : encountered overlapping frame, audio skew is +0.666ms

Plan not going well so far. :cry:
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If it has to be a copy of the original, you'll be limited to what can be saved, as you found out. "50GB" is 50,000,000,000 bytes, not "50 times 1,048,000 bytes", and certainly not "51GB". I've not liked the fact that "G" and "GB" mean such different things...

A lot will depend on your player. If it can read MKV files, it would be simple enough to copy the MKV file generated by ripping to the disk, then play it. OR you could use it to create a "more compressed" version (lose extra playback sounds, etc) with handbrake and put the MKV on a blank disk to play.

One of the things about commercial disks is that they understand how much space is available, and compress "just enough" to fit. Usually. A dual-layer disk has 66GB available, so they'll fit the video to that. Most can be compressed different amounts, from 25GB to 66GB, so if you compress the video again it can fit a bigger selection of disks.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Have you considered ripping your discs and not having discs in the equation at all? There are a bunch of solutions like Plex (and a whole host of others) that are generally easy to use and eliminate the possibility discs being damaged from use.
tb303

Post by tb303 »

Hi, I have a Panasonic D-UB820 I'll have to try it an mkv. I thought about Plex or a NAS quite an expensive solution but perhaps the only solution.
I thought I could simply remove the crap and copy the rest onto a 50GB blank bluray. I think its been made smaller deliberately.
I realised with my test disk I had included the 5.1 sound track on my test disk just kept the atmos track is now 50.55GB damm !! 100GB blurays cost so much its not worth it.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

https://help.panasonic.ca/viewing/ALL/D ... BS0258.pdf

The manual suggests you can put a .mkv file on a USB stick or USB hard drive, plug it into the rear USB slot on the player and play it. Might be worth a try.
tb303

Post by tb303 »

Yeah I’ll give it a go. Thanks