Shortcut App to send text message when makemkv finishes backup or making mvk

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
DocT1973

Shortcut App to send text message when makemkv finishes backup or making mvk

Post by DocT1973 »

Hey,
New user here. Is there a way to send a text message or notification to my iPhone when makemkv has finished backing up a disc and when it finishes ripping the files?
Thanks
Jeppedy

Re: Shortcut App to send text message when makemkv finishes backup or making mvk

Post by Jeppedy »

I'd love this ability as well. If a message could be posted, or even an job executed when done ripping, I could find a way to integrate with notification approaches (Send an announcement through my smart home, push a message to my phone over one of the many Push services, etc)
jriggins7

Re: Shortcut App to send text message when makemkv finishes backup or making mvk

Post by jriggins7 »

Any update on this post ? Would love to see a push notification as well!
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

I must've missed this suggestion first time around but I too would love to see something like this.

In fact, if there are any talented coders out there, a general windows app that monitors the progress of ANY program with a progress bar and reports said progress to a smartphone app would likely make you rich (well, maybe not "rich" but it would be a great thing)!

In either case, the only caveat I would have is that it not rely on some third-party cloud service (some of whom have been known to pack up their bat & ball and go home without notice). Something that works peer-to-peer at LAN level would be preferable.
flojo

Post by flojo »

The general limitation here is that you can't typically have both "carrier data" and "wifi data" sending data to a separate DNS on a phone. It's not a limitation of the radio or TCP/IP but of the typical phone.

I think the best that could be done is to offer a docker container or similar to run with a reverse proxy along with something like duckdns.org. There's also the option of offering C/C++ to flash to a ESP32 and a client script so you could use a captive portal over wifi.

Or... play a sound really loud on completion!!