Metadata app recommendations on Mac

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
PhilipGearSolid

Metadata app recommendations on Mac

Post by PhilipGearSolid »

Anyone have any recommendations for Metadata apps on MacOS?

I've been using one forever called Identify, which is no longer useable post-Yosemite. Now that I'm on a current OS, I'm looking for a similar simple app that I can edit metadata information all on my own.

If anyone has used Identify and/or could recommend something similar without too many bells and whistles, it would be much appreciated. Thank you.
dcoke22

Re: Metadata app recommendations on Mac

Post by dcoke22 »

I'm more of a command line person, so I use the MKVToolNix tools on my Mac. In particular, it is the mkvpropedit utility that edits .mkv file metadata.

There are GUIs for the MKVToolNix tools, but I haven't used any of them. Using Terminal isn't too hard. You end up with fairly simple commands to do things. For example, if you wanted to set the title in a .mkv file, you'd use a command like this:

Code: Select all

mkvpropedit movie.mkv --edit info --set "title=My Movie Title"
Or to set the name of the third audio track:

mkvpropedit movie.mkv --edit track:a3 --set "name=Commentary"
Or, perhaps, the second subtitle track:

mkvpropedit movie.mkv --edit track:s2 --set "name=SDH Subtitles"
boxster99t

Re: Metadata app recommendations on Mac

Post by boxster99t »

Sort of an old thread, but if you're still hunting an answer, Subler. Free--I've been using it for years along with MakeMKV and handbrake. Subler searches for metadata from iTunes & TheMovieDB, and for most titles will give you the choice of artwork along with supplying the related information. When finished it will send the MP4 file straight to the TV app on your Mac. When I look at the finished product in my movie library on my Apple TV, it's indistinguishable from purchased digital downloads.