For those using a Pioneer drive on macOS, a few questions...

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
PhilipGearSolid

For those using a Pioneer drive on macOS, a few questions...

Post by PhilipGearSolid »

I'm on a Mac Studio and just purchased Pioneer's BDR-XS07UHD external drive which I would like to use with only MakeMKV. If you're on Monterey and have been using a Pioneer drive, I have a few questions:

- Do recent Pioneer drives have to be flashed at all to work with MakeMKV? Does it make a difference if this is a UHD drive?

- Should I update to the latest firmware once I receive it? Pioneer's last firmware update for this drive is from 2020 as a Catalina update on their site.

- Is there any settings on Pioneer's Drive Utility App that I should have enabled? If I'm only ripping 3 discs a month, should I have it set on High Performance Mode or Quality Mode or nothing at all? Pioneer's site doesn't have much information regarding the two.

If there is anything else I should know or consider, feel free to share.

Thanks.
dcoke22

Re: For those using a Pioneer drive on macOS, a few questions...

Post by dcoke22 »

I'm on Big Sur, not Monterey, but I do have a Pioneer drive (BDR-212U).

You should not need to flash the firmware for it to work with MakeMKV.

If your drive works with MakeMKV, you should not flash the firmware. (If it ain't broke, don't fix it.)

I don't have Pioneer's Drive Utility app installed and mine works fine, so I can't recommend any settings be changed in the app.
PhilipGearSolid

Re: For those using a Pioneer drive on macOS, a few questions...

Post by PhilipGearSolid »

dcoke22 wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 8:53 pm
I'm on Big Sur, not Monterey, but I do have a Pioneer drive (BDR-212U).

You should not need to flash the firmware for it to work with MakeMKV.

If your drive works with MakeMKV, you should not flash the firmware. (If it ain't broke, don't fix it.)

I don't have Pioneer's Drive Utility app installed and mine works fine, so I can't recommend any settings be changed in the app.
Thank you for the confirmation.