Callan DVD has three titles, only 1 title offered

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
Gromit22

Callan DVD has three titles, only 1 title offered

Post by Gromit22 »

First a big 'Thank you' for this excellent software which has enabled me to transfer my DVDs and BDs to my NAS box so I can watch all of my optical media (now stored away in the loft) without the hassle of having to sit through trailers etc that the disc won't let you skip.

I don't know if this is an OS-specific problem or a general DVD problem - please move it if it's not OS-specific.

I've transferred probably hundreds of DVDs and BDs with MakeMKV over the past few years and it's all gone fine. Until now.

I have a DVD set 'Callan-The Monochrome Years' and each DVD has three episodes (titles #2,#3 and #4).

When MakeMKV is decrypting the disc it sees them:

-----------------------------------------
Title #1 has length of 34 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Complex multiplex encountered - 10 cells and 3290 VOBUs have to be scanned. This may take some time, please be patient - it can't be avoided.
Title #2 was added (10 cell(s), 0:54:45)
Complex multiplex encountered - 11 cells and 3062 VOBUs have to be scanned. This may take some time, please be patient - it can't be avoided.
Title #3 was added (11 cell(s), 0:50:54)
Complex multiplex encountered - 10 cells and 2791 VOBUs have to be scanned. This may take some time, please be patient - it can't be avoided.
Title #4 was added (10 cell(s), 0:46:25)

Unlike most DVDs that get to the title-choosing window quite quickly, the decrypting takes absolutely ages (40-50 mins) but it gets there in the end. I have had this on a few other DVDs (ie taking a very long time to decrypt the DVD) but if you are patient it gets to the end and offers all of the titles on the DVD.

With this particular DVD set when it has finished the decrypting (and shows 'Operation successfully completed' in the progress window) and it shows the title options (ie where you can select which titles to extract) it only shows one title. I did hope that the one title might contain the three episodes stuck together but unfortunately it's just the first title of the three on the disc.

Callan DVD titles.jpg
Callan DVD titles.jpg (251.33 KiB) Viewed 3470 times

I have already successfully transferred another DVD set 'Callan - the Colour Years' from the same distributor - network DVD.
They also took a long time decrypting but at the end of it showed all of the titles on the DVDs.

I'm on Catalina and have the latest version of MakeMKV (v1.16.7 darwin(x64-release)).

Although it may not be relevant I always get a few or many of these lines in the progress window while DVDs (not just this one) are decrpypting:

Region setting of drive ASUS:DRW-24D5MT does not match the region of currently inserted disc, trying to work around...

My DVD player is R2 as are all of the DVDs that I've transferred, ie the disc and the DVD drive match for the region settings, and the region setting error message doesn't affect the extraction of the titles in any way. The message has appeared on all the versions of MakeMKV, not just this one.

Hope someone can help as I cannot see how to get round this!

Thanks.
Last edited by Gromit22 on Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
dcoke22

Re: Callan DVD has three titles, only 1 title offered

Post by dcoke22 »

It looks like you'll need to use manual DVD mode.
Gromit22

Post by Gromit22 »

Hi there,

I tried that, first by entering '2 3 4' in the manual mode which gave the same result, ie only the first title came up after it sat there decrypting for 40 mins. Then I tried doing them one at a time so I put '3' into the manual mode and after spending 10 mins decrypting I got this:

-----------------------------------------------
Using direct disc access mode
Open DVD manually : "3"
Complex multiplex encountered - 11 cells and 3062 VOBUs have to be scanned. This may take some time, please be patient - it can't be avoided.
Title #3 was added (11 cell(s), 0:50:54)
Region setting of drive ASUS:DRW-24D5MT does not match the region of currently inserted disc, trying to work around...
Failed to open disc
-----------------------------------------------

I've tried with with the DVD drive (above) and the BD drive (Pioneer) with the same result, ie I don't think it's a drive issue.

Just in case it might be a faulty disc, I've tried it in a stand-alone DVD player and all the titles appear in the menu and they all play fine.

So, no further on really, unless I'm doing something wrong in the manual mode.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I don't have that DVD set to try myself nor have I had a DVD be so obstinate.

I have no idea if it would help, but you could try an older version of MakeMKV. https://www.makemkv.com/download/old/
Gromit22

Post by Gromit22 »

Well, I was looking for more clues on how to fix this and discovered that the iMac has a native DVD player that should pop up when a DVD is seen in Finder. This has never happened, and I use VLC to play DVDs anyway so I didn't really miss it. I fired it up manually from the Applications folder and the first thing it said was 'Region mismatch between disc and drive.'

Although I'd bought the DVD drive from a reputable UK seller assuming it would be set up for the UK, it was in fact set to Region 1. I used up one of its five lives and it is now a Region 2 DVD drive.

On running the Callan DVD in MakeMKV there were no more 'Region setting doesn't match disc' error messages, the DVD decrypted in about 10 minutes and all of the titles appeared! They all extracted and played fine, as did all of the other DVDs in the set.

Having previously done probably over 300 DVDs perfectly well with the error message popping up from time to time, I have no idea why this particular set of discs gave this problem, but now it's well and truly sorted.

Thanks for your help, and hopefully this thread may help someone else with the same obscure problem.