Possible issue with APFS?

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
rastriffler

Possible issue with APFS?

Post by rastriffler »

After years of successfully ripping DVDs and Blu-ray discs on my iMac, I recently updated the OS to Big Sur and have run into problems.

Whenever I try to rip a larger track/title to my hard drive, I get the error:
"The size of output file 'User/roger/Movies/xxx.mkv' may reach as much as xxxx megabytes while target filesystem has a file size limit of xxx megabytes. Do you still want to continue?"

There is, in fact, over 145GB of space on the hard drive.

Prior to upgrading to Big Sur, my hard drive was formatted as Mac OS Extended. Upgrading to Big Sur converted it to APFS. I *believe* this may be a result of MakeMKV treating the APFS file system the same way it treats a FAT32 file system, i.e., limited to files size 4GB and smaller. That, or it is not able to accurately obtain disk space vlaues for APFS.

To test this, I ripped the disk to an external drive formatted as Mac OS Extended, and had no problem at all.

Hopefully this can be resolved. I have a work-around of ripping to an external drive, but it is much faster to rip to the internal drive.

Thanks!
dcoke22

Re: Possible issue with APFS?

Post by dcoke22 »

I use MakeMKV on an Intel Mac with Big Sur. I've used it on a M1 Mac with Big Sur too. I don't think it is a problem with MakeMKV. I think it is a problem with how MacOS deals with free space on APFS.

https://eclecticlight.co/2020/04/09/whe ... apfs-disk/

The short, short version is APFS is complicated and sometimes Finder lies.
crenelle

Re: Possible issue with APFS?

Post by crenelle »

When I run MakeMkv and Handbrake multiple times, in short order the backup folder size goes being displayed as gigabytes to megabytes. I've posted a separate topic about this. I have seen the alert indicating not enough space to save a big folder, but I never see any other app display anything like it.