Endless Permission requests that are never honored

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
ravedog

Endless Permission requests that are never honored

Post by ravedog »

Someone back in November brought this up but no response. On a new M1 mac on Monterey and I get 10-15 requests for permission for the same folder. I even gave MakeMKV full disk permissions and still it asks... endlessly.

Any solution to this?
Last edited by ravedog on Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
raydude001

Re: Endless Permission requests that are never honored

Post by raydude001 »

I've been looking for a solution for this as well and haven't found one yet. Hasn't bothered me too much, but I could certainly see it getting quite bothersome eventually over a long string of rips.
jjmccrae

Post by jjmccrae »

And that's why I just registered to post and rely to see if this was happening to anyone else.
My new M1 Pro MacBook arrived yesterday and this was one of the first things I noticed this morning. Thought it was just me :)
Fauxleroid

Post by Fauxleroid »

Snap. Any fix for this? M1 Mac mini Monterrey
lgf30022

Post by lgf30022 »

I'm having the same issue:
Monterey 12.4
MakeMKV 1.16.7
Mac Studio M1 Pro based

I can access the external Blu-Ray drive but I cannot change the MakeMKV Data Directory nor can I change the output folder (to external drive).

Yes, MakeMKV is showing up in Full Disk access. However, it is not in Security & Privacy -> Privacy -> Files and Folder which is also necessary for Removable Volumes access. That is not user settable, it must be done in the install code.
embyfan

Post by embyfan »

Newbie here (although not new to using MakeMKV) and having the same problem.

All permissions are granted where applicable, and everything else is running flawlessly, however I'm still getting the attached prompt before I rip.

macOS Monterey 12.5
MakeMKV 1.17.1
MacBook Pro with an M1 chip

Has anyone managed to find a solution?
Attachments
grab.png
grab.png (166.65 KiB) Viewed 11007 times
mmaslar

Post by mmaslar »

I’m also having this issue on my M1 Mac Mini. As far as I can tell from other posts, the only current workaround is to spend the $99 to create an Apple developer account and codesign and notarize the app yourself.
WAYFLIX

Post by WAYFLIX »

This is just the worst. I hope it gets fixed but I do not have much hope.
WAYFLIX

Post by WAYFLIX »

mmaslar wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:20 am
I’m also having this issue on my M1 Mac Mini. As far as I can tell from other posts, the only current workaround is to spend the $99 to create an Apple developer account and codesign and notarize the app yourself.
That has nothing to do with this folder permissions issue. That's is for initial install and is easily bypassed.
mmaslar

Post by mmaslar »

WAYFLIX wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:29 pm

That has nothing to do with this folder permissions issue. That's is for initial install and is easily bypassed.
Thank you. I guess I misunderstood what others were saying in similar threads. The endless permissions pop ups are getting to be a real pain, especially when performing a full disk backup. Sometimes the backup will start and I’ll come back later only to find that it asked for access to removable drives again and the backup never occurred.
pkitch

Post by pkitch »

Still no update to this issue seemingly? Does anyone know if it has been acknowledged and we might expect it to be resolved in a future version?
mmaslar

Post by mmaslar »

pkitch wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:38 pm
Still no update to this issue seemingly? Does anyone know if it has been acknowledged and we might expect it to be resolved in a future version?
I’ve given up and just accepted the fact that I will have to acknowledge the prompts every time. It seems this isn’t a big enough issue to be fixed.
elrhiarhodan

Post by elrhiarhodan »

Would like to add my frustration with the bug to the thread.

This seems to be an M1 issue. I had been using a 2013-era Mac Pro since, well, 2013 and permissions only needed to be granted when I changed the destination drive. I upgraded (yes, I consider this an upgrade) to a Mac Studio and no matter what tweaking I do in Settings or in Terminal, I still have to give permission four times for each disc. Frustrating for an otherwise flawless bit of software.
Videodrome

Post by Videodrome »

I got one work around. Using the terminal and run the makemkv command from there.
It might ask one time permission from terminal, but since then I didn't get any prompts.

For those that aren't familiar,

Go to 'Applications' in Finder,
Right click the MakeMKV app and go to 'Show Package Contents'
Go to the Contents/Macos folder, you'll find a 'makemkv' executable in there.
Open Terminal app and drag the file to the terminal to paste the file path, and press enter.

That's it.
mmaslar

Post by mmaslar »

Videodrome wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 11:58 am
I got one work around. Using the terminal and run the makemkv command from there.
It might ask one time permission from terminal, but since then I didn't get any prompts.

For those that aren't familiar,

Go to 'Applications' in Finder,
Right click the MakeMKV app and go to 'Show Package Contents'
Go to the Contents/Macos folder, you'll find a 'makemkv' executable in there.
Open Terminal app and drag the file to the terminal to paste the file path, and press enter.

That's it.
Thank you for pointing this out! This method worked for me with the following caveat: You have to open MakeMKV from terminal every time. Opening the app from the dock or from the applications folder, even after performing the steps above still results in the prompts.