Jupiter Ascending + M1 Mac Mini = Ugly Crash

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
Trubes

Jupiter Ascending + M1 Mac Mini = Ugly Crash

Post by Trubes »

I guess it's not specifically a MakeMKV problem, but simply trying to access the Jupiter Ascending Blu-Ray on my M1 Mac Mini causes it to crash. This is under macOS 11.5.1, using an external LG Model BP60ND10. I have successfully backed up several other Blu Rays under this setup, so seems to be specific to this particular disk.

Wish I had a Windows rig right about now.

Anyway, just an FYI.
dcoke22

Re: Jupiter Ascending + M1 Mac Mini = Ugly Crash

Post by dcoke22 »

I've seen an Apple Silicon Mac crash when it is trying to use the integration between MakeMKV and VLC. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25803

I haven't heard of one crashing when just putting a blu-ray into a drive and waiting for MakeMKV to read it. I don't happen to have that blu-ray, so I can't test it on my setup. Can you describe what happens in more detail? Is your machine rebooting? That's likely a kernel panic. After it reboots, do you get a system dialog about wanting to send crash data to Apple?
Trubes

Post by Trubes »

Yeah, I saw those threads when I was looking for similar topics. Yes, it appears to be a kernel panic. As soon as the computer tries to read a file on the disk, the screen flashes pink for about 1/4 second. Or mauve. I wouldn't describe it as salmon, really. But anyway, flashes and then goes blank and the computer reboots (with warning on restart that the computer is restarting due to an issue). And to be clear, it's when trying to access a file on the disk, not just upon inserting the disk. It happened when I tried to use the backup feature in Make MKV, and also when I tried to access a file on the disk via the Finder.

I pulled out my Intel MacBook and backed up the disk fine using MakeMKV.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Trubes wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:21 pm
Or mauve. I wouldn't describe it as salmon, really.
lol :D
Trubes wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:21 pm
I pulled out my Intel MacBook and backed up the disk fine using MakeMKV.
Out of curiosity, what happens when you copy the (presumably decrypted) backup to your M1 Mac and open it in MakeMKV there?
Trubes

Post by Trubes »

When I opened the backup file on the M1 Mac, it opened in MakeMKV with no problems and I was able to extract the MKV files as usual.

Also, I just discovered today that Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets also causes a crash on the M1 Mac, just like Jupiter Ascending.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24591

I came across that thread the other day, which seemed relevant here.
Trubes

Post by Trubes »

So, since I originally posted about this problem I've had my M1 Mac Mini (Apple Silicon) in to the Apple Store twice for issues with it randomly crashing.

Long story short, in the new Mac Mini design the USB A ports are connected to an underpowered bus and when a peripheral draws too much power the Mac powers off and reboots. This was the issue I was encountering - a hardware rather than a software problem.

The solution - a powered USB A hub. No more crashes!

The USB C ports connect to a different bus, and do not encounter this problem.