DASPI kernel extension - post Catalina et al

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
WaldoTJ

DASPI kernel extension - post Catalina et al

Post by WaldoTJ »

the 'Pinned" post at the top of the discussion on DASPI is locked, but last updated in 2011.

i have been trying to install the daspi_1.5.pkg on my macOS (Catalina 10.15.7) for a few days. it seems that somewhere around version 10.15.3 Apple decided that 3rd party kernel extensions were forbidden. they used to be somewhat tolerated by use of the command:
  • sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"
but that behaviour is no longer permitted. i believe that, specifically, there is no longer a mechanism for a user process to alter the "/System" folder structure; even after authentication as an admin ID.

i USED TO be able to run with the daspi package installed and running, but i had installed it while my mac was running a much older version of macOS. unfortunately, i had to re-install from scratch yesterday and so far, this is the only package i cannot restore.

is this option truly no longer available?

is there any ongoing effort to convert from the Kernel Extensions model to the System Extension Alternatives one?

i am almost tempted to re-re-install from scratch - which begins with Yosemite - install daspi - THEN upgrade to Catalina.
Woodstock

Re: DASPI kernel extension - post Catalina et al

Post by Woodstock »

Unless MakeMKV tells you it needs DASPI installed, do not install it.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging