ASUS BW-16D1HT - Horrendous Noise - Multiple Errors

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
michaelsft

ASUS BW-16D1HT - Horrendous Noise - Multiple Errors

Post by michaelsft »

Hi all, so the new drive I bought is worrying me a bit, when it tries to read a disc it makes the most horrendous noises, like a floppy drive trying to brutally read a disc. Maybe that's fine, maybe not I'm unsure. I have this morning managed to flash the firmware from 3.10 to 3.10MK and the libredrive info looks good in MakeMKV but when I insert a UHD I have, the first time it doesn't read it and says no disc inserted, the second time it did but just threw up so many errors (I've captured a small portion of it below). Did I receive a bad drive perhaps? It came brand new and it can read and rip DVDs but nothing else

The noise I can live with despite it sounding like a jet engine on my desk but if it's having this much trouble reading a UHD disc then there doesn't seem to be a point to having it. I've also noticed ImgBurn in my Parallels set up won't recognise a blank BDXL disc but MakeMKV in Parallels will recognise DVDs as well. What a total pain :(

Timestamp: 2017-11-10 21:39:50

Data capacity: 82.87 Gb

Disc type: BD-ROM UHD

Number of layers: 3

Bus encryption flags: 80

Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while issuing SCSI command 280..001 to device 'IoKit:/IOBDServices/53FD3922'
Can't read AACS VID from disc - most likely current AACS host certificate is revoked by your drive
Downloading latest HK to /Users/username/Desktop ...

Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-RE ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.10' at offset '6225920'

Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00336.m2ts' at offset '0'
Title #00243.mpls was skipped
Failed to add angle #2 for title #243

Encountered 492 errors of type 'Read Error' - see http://www.makemkv.com/errors/read/
Failed to open disc
michaelsft

Re: ASUS BW-16D1HT - Horrendous Noise - Multiple Errors

Post by michaelsft »

Hmm, perhaps this occurred because I didn't unplug it after updating the firmware. It wasn't reading anything except DVDs so I unplugged it and then tried again and now it seems to be reading BDs and UHDs just fine and although sometimes it's still noisy, it's definitely better than it was. Very strange...
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2021... refer to section titled Sleep Bug:

Also note that applying the recommended Sleep Bug Fix: MAY affect drive compatibility with other apps. Search the forums for additional details.
michaelsft

Post by michaelsft »

Thanks d00zah! Very interesting...

I think since I have it working alright now I'll just ensure that when I'm done ripping the disc I'll take it out and also not have the drive powered up when not in use. The idea of flashing more firmware from a different drive on my Mac again seems like something I'll just make a mess of to be honest!