BR mounts in Finder, but not MakeMKV

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
jitterbugzero

BR mounts in Finder, but not MakeMKV

Post by jitterbugzero »

I tried this with a few different discs, on my old (2015-ish) Samsung BR external drive. I open MakeMKV (tried the newest version as well as 1.15.1), insert the disc, and it mounts like normal in the Finder (sometimes starts up the movie, sometimes not, but it always seems to mount at least). But in MakeMKV it just spins. When I eject it, MakeMKV doesn't seem to notice and it keeps trying to load the disc.

I did clean the drive laser with a cleaning disc (ran it a few times), and unplugged and restarted.

I'm new to this disc burning stuff so I have no idea what the problem is. I'm tempted to get one of those pre-flashed drives listed on the forum, but don't want to spend the money if it's something else (though I might need one anyway for UHD, which I haven't tried yet).

Some specifics if it helps:
MacBook Pro 15" Mid 2015
Catalina 10.15.7
Samsung SE-506CB/RSBD from 2015
MakeMKV versions 1.15.1 and 1.16.1

Thanks!
dcoke22

Re: BR mounts in Finder, but not MakeMKV

Post by dcoke22 »

I think MakeMKV needs permission for removable media in Security & Privacy in System Preferences. I do most of my work on Mojave, but I've briefly tested MakeMKV on a Big Sur system. I've never actually used Catalina, but I think some of this stuff was introduced in Catalina.
jitterbugzero

Post by jitterbugzero »

That sounds plausible. Do you know if there's any way to change those settings? Greyed out for me even after unlocking, and I can't drag and drop.
madacj

Post by madacj »

Unusual issue for me, I’m using an internal drive externally using a sata to usb cable. macOS makemkv latest version. Recently my cable became faulty so decided to buy a new one. The new cable works fine with finder recognises the drive no problem however makemkv can’t find the drive. So I decided to put the old cable back in and makemkv detects the drive no problem once I get the cable to work properly (the wire must be worn because takes a few attempts to get a connection if I hold the cable in the right place) The only difference
Between the two cables is that one is usb 2 and the new one is usb 3 (with a blue bit instead of a white bit)
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Unfortunately the MakeMKV community is quite dead (I'm not entirely sure if the software is even being actively developed anymore), so I don't expect the problem to be resolved. If anyone manages to find a solution (or information related to the problem) please share here!
This place may not be FaceTwit, but a fresh release just over a week ago (1.16.4) would SEEM to be evidence of "being actively developed", and daily activity in the forum says "it ain't dead yet!"

This topic dates back prior to the release of 1.16.3 in March.

Edited to add: The post this responds to was edited by the author, who complained of a previous post being removed, to be spam. That is why the previous post was removed, and why the one this replied to was removed. This person has spammed other forums, which is why they are now banned.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging