Playing 4k bluray with VLC in m1 silicon mac?

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
Heesung

Playing 4k bluray with VLC in m1 silicon mac?

Post by Heesung »

I've been using LG WH16NS60 + OWC Mercury Pro External USB 3 Enclosure with Macs.
I've successfully ripped/played 4k bluray disks with Makemkv and vlc with my intel mac (2015 macbook pro).

I'm currently using M1 Mac mini, and Makemkv is working seemlessly with any 4k bluray disk that I have.
But the problem is playing them with VLC (apple silicon version).

I checked VLC in Integration tap in Makemkv preferences, opened the disk in VLC, and then got this message: "This Blu-ray Disc needs a library for AACS decoding, and your system does not have it."
I figured the "libmmbd.dylib" file does not automatically go into the lib forder in VLC, so I manually copied and pasted it into VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/lib, all to no avail.

My guess is that VLC silicon version doesn't support playing 4k blurays, so I tried the older version of VLC (intel CPU version), and put libmmbd.dylib in it, and opened the disk.
The monitor turned into pink and my mac crashed and rebooted.

Is there anyone who succeeded in "playing" 4k blurays with VLC or any other app in M1 mac?
mike admin

Re: Playing 4k bluray with VLC in m1 silicon mac?

Post by mike admin »

The 1.16.0 supports this
DrSchnabel

Post by DrSchnabel »

mike admin wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:53 pm
The 1.16.0 supports this
Unfortunately it does not. I have version 1.16.3 on an M1 Mac Mini, and trying to play a blu-ray disc through VLC causes the entire computer to crash and reboot.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Are you using the latest VLC that's for Apple Silicon Macs (version 3.0.12.1 I think)?
DrSchnabel

Post by DrSchnabel »

dcoke22 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:42 pm
Are you using the latest VLC that's for Apple Silicon Macs (version 3.0.12.1 I think)?
I am, yes.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

DrSchnabel wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:56 pm
Unfortunately it does not. I have version 1.16.3 on an M1 Mac Mini, and trying to play a blu-ray disc through VLC causes the entire computer to crash and reboot.
Oh, this one, yes. Just opening a folder on a disc, with VLC or other app, with or without MakeMKV causes crash and reboot. This still happens for some discs.
It is a bug in Apple UDF driver - when you get a crash next time, do send the error details to Apple.

So they finally could fix their most advanced OS on most advanced hardware not to crash when reading an optical disc with filesystem standardized 20 years ago.

p.s. In finder, go to disc, show package contents, and just tinker around.
Collyde

Post by Collyde »

MakeMKV 1.16.5 and VLC 3.0.16 result in a hard crash requiring a reboot. MakeMKV has no trouble ripping to MKV, so I do not think it's the UDF file issue.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Collyde wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:42 am
MakeMKV has no trouble ripping to MKV, so I do not think it's the UDF file issue.
Because MakeMKV has a built-in UDF parser. Forget about MakeMKV, just insert the disc, naviage to it in Finder, right click, "show package contents", navigate to BDMV folder, see what happens.

Please do call Apple support, post on their forum, do something.

They don't give a damn about this (kernel-mode buffer overflow, no less!!!) for two years already...
Collyde

Post by Collyde »

Because MakeMKV has a built-in UDF parser. Forget about MakeMKV, just insert the disc, naviage to it in Finder, right click, "show package contents", navigate to BDMV folder, see what happens.
Tried that and I still ended with an error telling me to check the log, which I could not find in ~/Library/logs or console.

I agree that Apple is completely unresponsive to developers or customers. Giving them "Feedback" (a sanitized way to report BUGS) results in little response from them, unless they just close it as a duplicate without further reference.
lIIIl

Post by lIIIl »

mike admin wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:55 pm
Collyde wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:42 am
MakeMKV has no trouble ripping to MKV, so I do not think it's the UDF file issue.

Please do call Apple support, post on their forum, do something.

They don't give a damn about this (kernel-mode buffer overflow, no less!!!) for two years already...
Agree!

I am also annoyed of Apple with that.
I wrote multiple bug reports. Nothing, absolutely no reaction.

Cheers.
DaveFlash

Post by DaveFlash »

can confirm on my M1 machine, with Monterey (latest) VLC (latest) and MakeMKV (latest), VLC gets as far as showing a bit of the movie studios logo intro or the fbi-style Blu-Ray anti-piracy warning screen (depending on the disc), and then a hard crash of the entire machine, by which the Mac reboots itself, and comes back with a send crash log screen, pointing to VLC as the culprit, tho it is underlying macOS stuff, and it does not matter if the blu-ray is a normal blu-ray or a UHD Blu-Ray, both crash when VLC.

For the Matrix (1) it gets as far as half way through the WarnerBrothers logo animation, then crashes the entire Mac.
lIIIl

Post by lIIIl »

Hello everyone,

some news to that issue:

With the last update it seems that Apple fixed the hard UDF driver crash.

Cheers.
ROBERTV

Post by ROBERTV »

For the initial question on this thread I found a solution:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29651