file name bug?

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
tlight

file name bug?

Post by tlight »

I am a new user to MakeMKV, so forgive me if I a missing something.... I have started ripping my DVD and BluRay collection and have some annoying behavior regarding the file name of the ripped file. I have done a few tests and it seems that the program is not taking the filename I enter in the GUI. It appears it is only taking what is originally taken from the disk metadata. This is what I've observed:

1. If I open a disk and there is a filename populated in the GUI (from the metadata I assume) that filename is used for the ripped file. No matter if I completely override the name, or append to the name. The original filename is used.

2. If I open a disk and there is no filename populated in the GUI, the file name mask is used to create a name. This is the case for the default mask, as well as edited. (I tried tweaking this mask in hopes this was the issue.) It appears that, even if I enter a file name in the GUI, the program uses the name from the metadata (in this case blank name) and uses the filename mask to create a filename.

I have been forced to go in and rename files after ripping so it's a bit of a hassle I would like to avoid.

I am running v1.15.4 [darwin(x64-release)]

Thanks in advance for any help you can lend, or if you can set me straight on how things are supposed to work.
Woodstock

Re: file name bug?

Post by Woodstock »

Preferences->Video, what settings do you have?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
tlight

Post by tlight »

Woodstock wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:31 pm
Preferences->Video, what settings do you have?
Default destination: Auto
tlight

Post by tlight »

I just noticed some GUI behavior that might explain the issue. I was unaware that, when selecting items from the disk tree (titles, subtitles, audio tracks) that the file name is changed. At least on the last disc I tried. It might be I have changed the filename and then selected/deselected items from the tree and my changes were overwritten. I will be careful on the next batch and see if this is the culprit....
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Try setting "Semi automatic"; it gives you much more control over output file names and directories.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging