MakeMKV no longer reading discs?

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
sidekick2310

Re: MakeMKV no longer reading discs?

Post by sidekick2310 »

I don't believe I had installed any new software updates around the time the discs were no longer being read. I can't recall when I first installed Big Sur but I'm pretty certain I had successfully ripped discs while that OS was installed on my computer. Yes, DVDs are still played in the drive through the Apple DVD player. I doubt that the cable is damaged as I keep the player in a protective case in my desk between uses.

The last Bluray I was able to successfully rip was "The Godfather Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone." Is it possible that since this is a brand new release that there may have been some sort of encryption safeguard on the disc that has rendered the drive effectively useless for me?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I don't think there's a new encryption scheme messing with people's players. If so, yours would be the first I've read about it here.

What drive do you have? Is it a LibreDrive (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=18856)?
sidekick2310

Post by sidekick2310 »

I don't believe it's a LibreDrive. It's made by a company called wintale. Here's a link to the device: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08 ... UTF8&psc=1.
sidekick2310

Post by sidekick2310 »

dcoke22 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:23 pm
I don't think there's a new encryption scheme messing with people's players. If so, yours would be the first I've read about it here.

What drive do you have? Is it a LibreDrive (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=18856)?
Where can I get a LibreDrive? Are there any specific brands I can look for that make them?
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

sidekick2310 wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:35 pm

Where can I get a LibreDrive? Are there any specific brands I can look for that make them?
LibreDrive firmware status

or, any of the recommended drives here.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Or at the link in my signature, yeah :)
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
gamblep

Post by gamblep »

I thought I was going crazy, but I’m having the same issues. I’ve been using MakeMKV for years now on my Mac, but in the past couple months for some reason none of the Blu-ray’s I tried ripping would complete successfully. My main Mac is on Mojave, I haven’t updated it because I use too many 32-bit apps. I have been checking and updating the MakeMKV app as often as I can though hoping the issue gets fixed. I have 2 Blu-ray drives both have worked wonderfully for the past year until recently. I had the drives directly connected to the system and fully powered. I even tried using both of these drives on my newer MacBook Pro running Big Sur and still get the exact same read errors. My last ditch effort tonight was trying it on my windows 10 computer, and still the same read errors. There has to be something deeper going on but I can’t figure it out. The drives are good, they can easily play all the discs, and it all used to work very reliably back in December and earlier. I get Blu-ray Discs in the mail from Netflix and for the past 2 months every single one has been unreadable by this app.
gamblep

Post by gamblep »

FYI for anyone else experiencing the same problems, I downgraded to the v1.15.1 version and can now successfully rip Blu-rays again.

The v.1.16 version kept failing the rips with read errors, which was very odd which originally led me to thinking it was an issue with the drives. That doesn't seem to be the case. I will be sticking with 1.15.1 for the time being and go back and rip all the discs that failed previously.
sidekick2310

Post by sidekick2310 »

I went back to v1.15.1 a while ago and still have had no luck. And I'm not going to have the money to buy a potential replacement drive anytime soon so this is increasingly frustrating for me. I still believe that there's an issue with the program itself. As I mentioned in an earlier post, BluRays are no longer recognized at all but the DVD player app in my laptop automatically opens and starts playing any DVD inserted into the drive, so I don't think the drive is damaged or corrupted. (Make MKV does not recognize any DVDs inserted into the drive, either. It always says "No disc inserted.")
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

sidekick2310 wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:43 pm
I went back to v1.15.1 a while ago and still have had no luck. And I'm not going to have the money to buy a potential replacement drive anytime soon so this is increasingly frustrating for me. I still believe that there's an issue with the program itself. As I mentioned in an earlier post, BluRays are no longer recognized at all but the DVD player app in my laptop automatically opens and starts playing any DVD inserted into the drive, so I don't think the drive is damaged or corrupted. (Make MKV does not recognize any DVDs inserted into the drive, either. It always says "No disc inserted.")
As your drive is not LibreDrive compatible, it MAY be an AACS host key revocation issue:

LibreDrive and AACS

which historically required a program update to address. Since a newer version was just released, it's possible Mike was unaware of an outstanding problem in this area? MakeMKVV output would suggest this possibility... IF it scanned the disc.

An AACS host revocation would only affect BluRay discs, so that part is consistent, but since DVD & BluRay use different lasers, it's also possible the blue laser is toast, instead.
sidekick2310

Post by sidekick2310 »

What makes me skeptical about the blue laser going out is it went from working absolutely fine with one Bluray to not recognizing anything with the next immediately after that. This wasn't a period of several days in between rips, this occurred inside an hour of a successful rip.
MickM

Post by MickM »

I just came here to find the solution because I'm having the same issue i.e. the disc simply will not load. I thought the issue might be due to the ARM architecture - I just bought a new M1 Mac mini (my first non-Intel machine) and finished loading it up with applications and now makemkv can't load any BluRays (haven't tried DVDs yet). Did anybody ever solve this issue?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

MickM wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:03 am
I just came here to find the solution because I'm having the same issue i.e. the disc simply will not load. I thought the issue might be due to the ARM architecture - I just bought a new M1 Mac mini (my first non-Intel machine) and finished loading it up with applications and now makemkv can't load any BluRays (haven't tried DVDs yet). Did anybody ever solve this issue?
I've successfully used MakeMKV on my M1 MacBook Air.

Is it just one disc that won't load in MakeMKV or every disc?
MickM

Post by MickM »

Sorry for the late reply - been debugging this for a while. I tried many things (including using multiple discs and an Intel Mac mini into which I installed a Blu-ray drive). I think the issue is with my external Blu-ray drive (Pioneer BD-RW BDR-TD04). The Blu-ray discs all seem to work in the Mac mini, but not when using my external Blu-ray drive. I'm trying to figure out to get a firmware update. For now, ignore my complaint...
MickM

Post by MickM »

Just closing the loop here. I can confirm the issue was with my Blu-ray drive (a cheap piece of junk somebody bought for me during their visit to China). I bought a real Blu-ray drive and then everything worked just fine with MakeMKV.