MakeMKV no longer reading discs?

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
sidekick2310

MakeMKV no longer reading discs?

Post by sidekick2310 »

Has anyone encountered this problem before? I'm using MakeMKV Beta on a MacBook Pro, software macOS Big Sur. I've been able to successfully rip both DVDs and BluRays without incident until last night, when I tried to rip copies of the "despecialized" Star Wars trilogy and the program said there was no disc in the drive. I haven't been able to rip any new movies since then. I've tried ripping discs that I've already done in the past and also have had no success. I tried deleting the program and downloading it again, but no dice. I've made sure the boxes regarding the debug and A/V sync messages have been checked. Does anyone have any advice?
jonghotti

Re: MakeMKV no longer reading discs?

Post by jonghotti »

What version of MakeMKV software are you on?
If current I'd like you to try rolling back to 1.15.1 and see if things start working again
You can find the installer here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iofovI ... sp=sharing and this is only a temp solution i'm just gathering some data. Thank you!
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
Jellygoop

Post by Jellygoop »

I'm having the exact same problem. Only I don't think it's MakeMKV. Bluray disks won't mount in Big Sur. DVDs are OK.
Tried earlier version of MakeMKV v1.15.2 (just in case) which worked OK for me in the past under Catalina, but did not fix the problem.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Jellygoop wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:52 am
I'm having the exact same problem. Only I don't think it's MakeMKV. Bluray disks won't mount in Big Sur. DVDs are OK.
Tried earlier version of MakeMKV v1.15.2 (just in case) which worked OK for me in the past under Catalina, but did not fix the problem.
Go one version farther back, and try running CleanMyMacX or similar to remove any remnants of the previous version. Lemme know if that doesn't do something for you this is still just troubleshooting in progress...
sidekick2310

Post by sidekick2310 »

jonghotti wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:10 am
If current I'd like you to try rolling back to 1.15.1 and see if things start working again
You can find the installer here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iofovI ... sp=sharing and this is only a temp solution i'm just gathering some data. Thank you!
Apologies for the delay, I've been out of town for the last couple weeks and didn't have access to my bluray drive to test this out. I'll give it a try today.
sidekick2310

Post by sidekick2310 »

jonghotti wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:10 am
This appears to be a link to the Windows version, do you have one for MacOS?
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

sidekick2310

Post by sidekick2310 »

Still no luck post Clean My Mac scrub and installing the older version of Make MKV
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

So perhaps a trial version of anydvd hd and see if it works. This is crazy, if one disc fails in a drive it should not leave the drive unable to read anymore of the same type.

We need Woodstock’s opinion here!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
sidekick2310

Post by sidekick2310 »

Update: I don't know why I hadn't thought to check this until now but I decided to pop in a DVD to see whether or not Make MKV would read those. (This is still testing on v1.15.1.) I thought that perhaps my issue was the drive itself and not the program or OS, but the DVD player program on my laptop still read the disc and automatically started playing the DVD. However, Make MKV still didn't read any disc in the drive. So we now know for certain that the issue I'm dealing with isn't with my Bluray drive. It must have something to do with a compatibility issue between the latest version of Big Sur and Make MKV itself, right?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Not sure where my opinions would help, since I'm not all that familiar with Macs.

Generally, they're not as stupid as Win10 as far as locking out hardware in "colorful" ways. Gatekeeper can be an issue, but HOW it is an issue changes with the MacOS version, and a Mac expert woulds be better suited.

Oh, MIKE....
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Is your drive in an external enclosure or does your MacBook Pro have an internal optical drive?

I have successfully used MakeMKV with an external drive on an M1 MacBook Air running Big Sur 11.1, so at least in some instances it works. My Mac has granted permission to MakeMKV in the Files and Folders section of the Privacy tab in Security & Privacy in System Preferences.
GosDog

Post by GosDog »

I've been happily ripping DVD and Blue-Rays on 10.15.6 and earlier version for quite some time using an LG WH16NS40 from OWC. I applied the 10.15.7 upgrade and now there are lots of issues. If I insert any disc into the LG drive, it spins for a while and then ejects.

If I try my USB SuperDrive with a standard DVD, I get this:
Using direct disc access mode
Complex multiplex encountered - 14 cells and 14315 VOBUs have to be scanned. This may take some time, please be patient - it can't be avoided.

The Current VOBD counter just counts up without end and to a value into the millions rather than the stated 14315. I've never seen this before. I also have a second identical drive that I never used and tried it. It gives the same results. It sure seems like something has changed at the MacOS layer. New copyright protection scheme? Change to the direct disc access API?
sidekick2310

Post by sidekick2310 »

It's an external drive connected via a USB C port. This setup has worked like a charm with zero issues for several months until it suddenly stopped several weeks ago. I made sure the program has permission to write files to both the external hard drive I always save my files to as well as to the MacBook's Documents folder and it still isn't reading any BluRay discs, new or old so I don't believe it's an encryption issue. I don't even get a message about the program needing time to read the files. It simply says there is no disc in the drive.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Do you recall if you installed an OS update around the time it stopped working? Have you successfully ripped a disc with Big Sur?

I think you said Apple DVD Player will still play DVDs in the drive… That must mean at least the DVD laser and the enclosure and cable are working.

Can you verify the permissions in Security & Privacy in System Preferences?