2020 Guide for Java?

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
KENSAI

2020 Guide for Java?

Post by KENSAI »

Last weekend I wiped my iMac to the bare metal and installed Big Sur. I'm enjoying the clean experience so far, but when I tried to rip the Blu-ray for "Ava", MakeMKV couldn't open the disc at all. I've never seen such odd behaviour from the app in fact - it will try to scan the disc, then eject it without me prompting it to do so. Very odd. I figure it might be Java-related.

There are all manner of Java installs, but the one I picked from Oracle (jre-8u271-macosx-x64.dmg) doesn't seem to work. I installed it and have un-checked the box for "Enable Java content for browser and Web Start applications".

This is the path in MakeMKV that I set:
/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin

It's certainly not a "Java executable" as MakeMKV asks for, but I can't seem to locate anything appropriate. I've poked around in folders and packages and I'm not seeing anything promising.

Does anyone have a validated process I can follow to get this working?
spl147

Re: 2020 Guide for Java?

Post by spl147 »

KENSAI wrote:Last weekend I wiped my iMac to the bare metal and installed Big Sur. I'm enjoying the clean experience so far, but when I tried to rip the Blu-ray for "Ava", MakeMKV couldn't open the disc at all. I've never seen such odd behaviour from the app in fact - it will try to scan the disc, then eject it without me prompting it to do so. Very odd. I figure it might be Java-related.

There are all manner of Java installs, but the one I picked from Oracle (jre-8u271-macosx-x64.dmg) doesn't seem to work. I installed it and have un-checked the box for "Enable Java content for browser and Web Start applications".

This is the path in MakeMKV that I set:
/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin

It's certainly not a "Java executable" as MakeMKV asks for, but I can't seem to locate anything appropriate. I've poked around in folders and packages and I'm not seeing anything promising.

Does anyone have a validated process I can follow to get this working?
https://alvinalexander.com/java/mac-os ... -location/