MKV doesn't work with Catalina?

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
macdonjh

MKV doesn't work with Catalina?

Post by macdonjh »

OK, so never again will I update my OS...

I updated my OS to Catalina and MakeMKV (v1.15.2) is no longer recognized as a safe program. I have been in System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Accessibility and added MakeMKV to the list. No dice.

How do I get Catalina to allow me to use this program?
dcoke22

Re: MKV doesn't work with Catalina?

Post by dcoke22 »

Can you be more specific about the error? I don't have a Catalina system so haven't seen that error. Other people in this forum seem to be using MakeMKV on Catalina.

Have you tried reinstalling it? Version 1.15.3 is out anyway.
Paine

Post by Paine »

The error message is "MAKEMKV" cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified. macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

From http://www.makemkv.com/download/
NOTE: MakeMKV is not signed by Apple, you might need to adjust gatekeeper options https://support.apple.com/kb/ht5290 in order to install the program.
macdonjh

Post by macdonjh »

Mike admin,

Thank you, that is exactly the link I was looking for. Just for clarity for anyone else having the problem I had:
  • Download the latest MakeMKV
    Open the .dmg file and then drag the program icon to your Applications folder
    Try double clicking MakeMKV either in Finder or from Launch Pad
    You'll get the "can't verify" error Paine mentions above
    Open System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General
    Click the <Open Anyway> "button next to MakeMKV in the list in the bottom half of the window
    You'll get another pop-up asking you for your Admin password, enter your password
Now you're supposed to have authorized your computer to run MakeMKV
T'hain Esh Kelch

Post by T'hain Esh Kelch »

A quicker way, after you've copied the binary to the Applications folder, is just to right-click on the MakeMKV binary and select 'Open'. The system will then ask if you want to override the system settings, and start it. It is quicker than going to the Systems Preferences. You can then open it as normal by double clicking it, in any future instances.

ie:
  • Download the latest MakeMKV
    Open the .dmg file and then drag the program icon to your Applications folder
    Right click the MakeMKV icon in your Applications folder and select 'Open'.
Jamesinbury

Post by Jamesinbury »

I want to digitise my DVD collection and so have recently had some work done on my Mac to speed it up, s d I bought a large external hard drive on which to store the potential files and stream them via Plex.

Looking on YouTube it seemed that MakeMKV was the most appropriate program to use so I downloaded it and had the same issue that this thread is devoted to.

I have to ask - it IS safe to use MakeMKV on my Mac running Catalina, isn’t it?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

"Safe" is relative. You're doing something potentially illegal in some countries.

If you're actually running Catalina, MakeMKV still runs on that.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

As this thread indicates, MakeMKV isn't signed by Apple which is what causes the scary warning message.

I've been running MakeMKV on macOS for years without trouble.

macOS Catalina is pretty old and probably isn't getting security updates anymore. Might be time to think about a newer Mac.