Best Version of MakeMKV for Mac High Sierra

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
Steve2112

Best Version of MakeMKV for Mac High Sierra

Post by Steve2112 »

So, MakeMKV v1.14.7 worked just fine for me on High Sierra (OS 10.13.6). So fine that I even bought the full version of MakeMKV after playing the beta registration code game for more than a year. Now MakeMKV v1.15.2 drops and High Sierra users are out of luck with this new update. What really sucks (as far as I can tell) is that earlier versions of MakeMKV (like 1.14.7) no longer seem to work at all. MakeMKV won't even recognize the bluray disc in the drive now. Is this really the end of the line for MakeMKV and High Sierra users? Are we being forced to either upgrade our Macs or find another bluray ripper now? Any helpful advice is appreciated!
mike admin

Re: Best Version of MakeMKV for Mac High Sierra

Post by mike admin »

Steve2112 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:05 pm
Now MakeMKV v1.15.2 drops and High Sierra users are out of luck with this new update.
What do you mean? 1.15.2 should (must really) work on HS
Steve2112

Post by Steve2112 »

My bad, Mike... I thought that an issue I'm running into with MakeMKV was an OS compatibility issue with the very recent release of MKV 1.15.2. I got my Mac OS numbers mixed up (duh), and you're right - High Sierra seems to open up 1.15.2 just fine. The problem I'm having, though, is that MakeMKV, for some strange reason now doesn't recognize at all that there's a bluray disc in the drive. I'm going to have to do some more digging. Thanks.
megaspaz

Post by megaspaz »

There was a change to the library names with newer versions which will break tour previous configuration... The makemkv library names are now libmmbd_new.dylib and libmmbd_old.dylib, you choose which one you want to use...
jsegel

Post by jsegel »

Steve2112 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:14 am
The problem I'm having, though, is that MakeMKV, for some strange reason now doesn't recognize at all that there's a bluray disc in the drive.
If you ever find out what's going on here, let me know! Same situation, with an LG WH14NS40 in a Mac Pro with High Sierra. I've flashed the drive to the 1.05d but still it sees DVDs but not BD.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

jsegel wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:50 pm
If you ever find out what's going on here, let me know! Same situation, with an LG WH14NS40 in a Mac Pro with High Sierra. I've flashed the drive to the 1.05d but still it sees DVDs but not BD.
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634

The recommendation for a WH14NS40 on any Firmware is to go directly to > WH16NS60 1.02MK
jsegel

Post by jsegel »

I've tried several firmware flashes now, it's back on the MK 1.02 but still no recognition of Bluray discs. DVDs are fine.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

From other information I've seen here, that drive uses two lasers, one for DVD, the other for BD. It is possible for it to have a problem with the BD laser and still work on DVD.

Did it stop reading BDs before or after the flash?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
jsegel

Post by jsegel »

Woodstock wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:31 pm
Did it stop reading BDs before or after the flash?
Well, I guess it possibly never worked, I bought it from OWC 2 years ago and only ever used it for DVD/CD! A friend sent me a bunch of BD-R discs of both the 25GB and 50GB kind and so I was trying to read them, which may have been the first time I've tried a BD in it, no disc recognized, so I thought it may have been a Region thing (I moved to EU, it's possible I had put a EU DVD and set it, didn't remember, friend's discs were from the US) so I thought potentially that was preventing it from reading. So I've tried flashing it to open firmware.
No dice though.