"Failed to Save Settings" error

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
brandonl

"Failed to Save Settings" error

Post by brandonl »

Whenever I attempt to make a preference change, I get a "Failed to Save Settings" error message. I thought it maybe needed the beta registration code, but when I attempt to put it in there, I get a "Failed to store registration code in database" message. I deleted the .app file, and the .plist file and reinstalled, but still get the message. Any ideas?

I'm on Snow Leopard, and it's MakeMKV v1.6.2
mike admin

Re: "Failed to Save Settings" error

Post by mike admin »

Are you running two copies of MakeMKV at a time? Do you have a folder named ".MakeMKV" in your home folder, and are there any files inside?
brandonl

Post by brandonl »

Only running it once. No .MakeMKV folder anywhere inside my home folder.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Please create a folder named ".MakeMKV" in your home folder and try again.
brandonl

Post by brandonl »

I'll try that. I did note that when I made a new user/profile, saving worked...so it is definately something with my account.

Where do I put the .makemkv folder (do I name it with the period in front?)? I don't think I can make a folder right in the root of my home directory (with the Documents, Pictures, etc. folders). Where exactly do I put it?

THanks!
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

brandonl wrote:I don't think I can make a folder right in the root of my home directory (with the Documents, Pictures, etc. folders). Where exactly do I put it?!
Exactly there. Try from a terminal

Code: Select all

mkdir ~/.MakeMKV
brandonl

Post by brandonl »

Was unable to create the directory-so I took a look at permissions-and it turns out my user account only had read only access to my own home directory! Fixed that and now the program is working normally...thanks!!!
sensu

Post by sensu »

I had the exact same issue when trying to register the latest beta key.

In my case, I resolved it by deleting all the files inside ~/.MakeMKV and then registering the latest beta key again.

This command I ran will work on Linux and MacOS in the terminal:

sudo rm -rf ~/.MakeMKV/*

But like others said previously, make sure that the folder ~/.MakeMKV actually exists in the first place and create it if it doesn't.