Requested Improvement to Interface

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
ckeefer79

Requested Improvement to Interface

Post by ckeefer79 »

Let me first begin by saying what an amazing program MakeMKV is, a person couldn't ask for an easier ripping program. That said, I have been a user for several months running on a Dual 3 Ghz Quad Core Intel Mac Pro (Early 2008) with 10.5.8 installed and a Samsung Blu-ray Drive. I have added this under the Mac OS section because having not used the PC version of this software, I am not sure how it acts or functions. I have a few request, but the largest one I have is with the start of the ripping process. Once we insert a Blu-ray disc into the drive, the program goes through what appears to be a drive and disc check then comes up with a window in which I have to click "Open Disc" and which point the program begins processing the disc for the content. My request is, and maybe it's just the way I use the program, can the program not just start processing the disc without needing my input. So to clarify: I start the program, insert a disc (Blu-ray or DVD), the program analysis the disc and displays the drives content aka "Titles" (and request me to being the ripping process). I know that probably seems simple, but bypassing the extra step would save a few seconds and allow a person to do something else while waiting on the disc to be process.

Also, is there any way the program could use the disc's name in the file naming structure - aka instead of title01.mkv could it be Disc.Name.Title01.mkv? I get into a day of ripping and it becomes a hassle having to switch to the hard drive and rename a file prior to starting another rip. I know this can be accomplished by using different folders to save the files to but considering most rips are only one track of the disc, it would be easier if the program just auto named the files based on the disc name.

This is truly an off the wall question, but any chance the program could be written to take advantage of two disc drives at once? Example: DVD Disc 1 in Drive 1 and DVD Disc 2 in Drive 2 both ripping to a different internal hard drive. Realizing that most people you are probably developing for are running PC's with limited capacity but it seems a waste on the Mac to have two drive, 4 hard drives, 8 processors and 16 GB of RAM just sitting here and only be using one optical drive with a system load on average 25% of the processor power, 700 to 900 MB of ram and disc output somewhere around 18 MB/Second on a SATA-II system. Figuring the option to rip from both optical drives (which are also on independent SATA-I channels) would allow the user to copy multiple disc at once would cut down on a lot of library creation time (considering the 400+ DVD/Blu-rays sitting around waiting for ripping is really starting to become overwhelming).

Again, thanks for a truly great program and please don't view this comment as negative, they were just some thoughts that have come across my mind while working with your program over the past.
alehel

Re: Requested Improvement to Interface

Post by alehel »

I am in no way assosiated with this software, but I can probably help answer a couple of your questions.

The reason MakeMKV doesn't start opening the disc automaticly is because there are certain features you can access that don't require this to be done. One such feature is the backup function which simply removes the drm and copies the contents onto your hard drive leaving you with a direct copy of the disc content.

If you want to copy from two drives at the same time, you can in fact run two instances of MakeMKV at the same time. Right click on the MakeMKV program, select duplicate. You will now have two copies of MakeMKV. One called "MakeMKV" and one called "MakeMKV Copy". You can now launch them both and use them as if they were seperate applications, thereby allowing you to access both of your drives at the same time.