How to Rip Blu-Ray discs with MakeMKV and handbrake

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
swsmith1971

Re: How to Rip Blu-Ray discs with MakeMKV and handbrake

Post by swsmith1971 »

philbax wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:39 am
Just a quick note: you don't *have* to rip with MakeMKV separately and then convert with Handbrake.

You can make two copies of the appropriate libmmbd library (libmmbd.dll on Windows with 32-bit Handbrake; libmmbd64.dll with 64-bit Handbrake) in the Handbrake install directory, and name them "libaacs.dll" and "libbdplus.dll" (or .dylib on Mac), restart Handbrake, and Handbrake will be able to scan and rip Blu-rays directly. Saves quite a bit of time!
mike admin wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 8:56 pm
The libmmbd (from unsigned, unsandboxed, unhardened and otherwise dangerous MakeMKV) still can be used by sandboxed/hardened applications, if it is copied to a proper location. VLC is an example how it works. So, at least in theory, this should work.
For starters, I don't use VLC, I did however find the libdvdcss-1.4.2.pkg on their website (https://download.videolan.org/pub/libdv ... .2/macosx/) which when installed, allows me to convert protected DVD's from within Handbrake. I would like to do the same with Blurays. So...with the first quote, On my iMac, where do I find the libmmbd, what do I rename it to, where do I put the newly renamed file? From the second quote, where would I find an unsigned, unsandboxed, unhardened libmmbd, and where would the proper location be?

I've been trying to ask for step by step directions to make this process easier. I'm not to comfortable with messing around on my Mac, however if it was a PC, well, I don't own a pc anymore and haven't since 2010.

Thanks in advanced for any proper instructions on how to make this work on my iMac.
megaspaz

Post by megaspaz »

Since you're using makemkv 1.15.1 and handbrake 1.2, open a terminal (Terminal.app) and copy the following, line by line...

Code: Select all

mkdir ~/lib
ln -s /Applications/MakeMKV.app/Contents/lib/libmmbd_new.dylib ~/lib/libaacs.dylib
ln -s /Applications/MakeMKV.app/Contents/lib/libmmbd_new.dylib ~/lib/libbdplus.dylib
edit: I run mojave... sorry if you use catalina...
swsmith1971

Post by swsmith1971 »

megaspaz wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 6:35 am

AFAIK, placing the aliases in /usr/local/lib, the libmmbd does work, provided you fix the original file name you alias from - libmmbd_new.dylib or libmmbd_old.dylib are the new names in makemkv. The only problem is that any 1.3 version of handbrake now crashes whenever you open a bluray directly in handbrake now. I didn't test hb and previous versions of makemkv (< 1.15.1) though... Everything I've seen from the hb forums, they don't much care that this workflow is broken, ie. using libmmbd in ~/lib...

@swsmith1971 - if you want to rip blurays directly in handbrake, just keep a copy of handbrake 1.2.2 in Applications calling it like "Handbrake 1.2.2" for use when ripping blurays and hb 1.3+ for everything else... if you plan on using makemkv first before using handbrake, then you can just dump hb 1.2.2
megaspaz wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 7:05 pm
Since you're using makemkv 1.15.1 and handbrake 1.2, open a terminal (Terminal.app) and copy the following, line by line...

Code: Select all

mkdir ~/lib
ln -s /Applications/MakeMKV.app/Contents/lib/libmmbd_new.dylib ~/lib/libaacs.dylib
ln -s /Applications/MakeMKV.app/Contents/lib/libmmbd_new.dylib ~/lib/libbdplus.dylib
edit: I run mojave... sorry if you use catalina...
Thank you for your responses, I will try these and see if they work.

@megaspaz, I'm only running Catalina because, I just purchased my new iMac one month ago, it came with it. I had to replace my old 27" iMac because the graphics started making pixelated spots all over the screen and then would lock up. Once it locked up, I had to restart it (which sometimes I would have to restart several times up to 5x's or more.) It got to be a little bit annoying. I really haven't had any issues as of yet with my new iMac, however some programs that migrated over, wouldn't work. but it turns out that the ones that wouldn't work, I didn't use anymore anyways.
megaspaz

Post by megaspaz »

@swsmith1971 - I made a catalina vm and catalina does something funky.... using ~/lib won't work, so I tried sticking the links in /usr/local/lib where videolan installs libdvdcss... that doesn't work either (libdvdcss works fine though). I have no idea what you have to do to make the links to be found on catalina... mojave vm is all that comes to mind right now... >.<
swsmith1971

Post by swsmith1971 »

@megaspaz, I just wanted to update you on my progress, the code that you gave me worked for the Blu-rays. I can now load a blu-ray through HandBrake. However, when I opened up Terminal for the first time on this machine, it instructed me that I had to do something with the shell. It told me to copy the text and paste it, then I could proceed using terminal. I wish I would have thought of making a screenshot, but I didn't.

Reading what you wrote,
megaspaz wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 6:21 pm
I made a catalina vm and catalina does something funky.... using ~/lib won't work, so I tried sticking the links in /usr/local/lib where videolan installs libdvdcss... that doesn't work either (libdvdcss works fine though). I have no idea what you have to do to make the links to be found on catalina... mojave vm is all that comes to mind right now... >.<
, when I put the copied code into terminal, it didn't create ~/lib in the /usr/local/lib, it was created in my folder with all the other folders like documents, music, downloads, library, desktop, etc. (ex. Macintosh HD/Users/*****/lib/)
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Catalina changes the default shell. So, you needed to make a setting change to account for that.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
swsmith1971

Post by swsmith1971 »

That would be exactly what it is I had to do.

Once that was done, writing that code into terminal, I now am able to convert my dvd and bluray titles through HandBrake (ver 1.2.0)

Thanks a lot for you alls help. I'm not so much concerned right at this moment to upgrade HandBrake, I'll wait till the developers come up with a solution that works with Catalina.
megaspaz

Post by megaspaz »

Ah... So it looks like HB 1.2.0 maybe the last version of HB to work in catalina the way it works in mojave/earlier. I got the same result you did with 1.2.0... I didn't try with 1.2.1...
spaceflower

Post by spaceflower »

Strangely enough, the latest version of Handbrake (1.3.3) seems to work okay with ripping DVDs on Catalina. The easiest method to get it working is to install libdvdcss via handbrew. It the most straight-forward and the safest (no tinkering with gatekeeper or system integrity). Doing one dvd at a time directly with Handbrake may be the fastest method but it doesn't scale very well without a preliminary extract with MakeMKV or just copying the files onto the computer. As for Blu-Rays, I have no clue, sorry ^^
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Just be aware that the handbrake team withdrew support for using libdvdcss 11+ years ago, because the combination was so fragile.

When it works, it works, but getting an operating system update could break it, it does not handle all aspects of DVD copy protection, and it has very little in the way of useful error handling (disk errors cause incomplete rips with no reported error).

You're also stuck with waiting for one disk to finish before you can change it.

Everything has its own trade-offs.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
philb1701

Post by philb1701 »

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I don't have to do the dance of a thousand coding languages when using makemkv and Handbrake. I just open my external 4K-compatible drive, insert the disk and run mkv (latest version). I select the file(s) I want and as Jackie Gleason said..."Away we go!" Usually about 45 minutes or so (less if it's a DVD, a little more if it's a 4K UHD disc) the mkv file is waiting for me.

From there, I just fire up Handbrake for all files EXCEPT 4K UHD, select the mkv files I want to transcode and in what order, point them where I want to go and press Start. Depending on the file, the transcode can take 2:1 or 3:1 conversion time. DVD's usually go around 1:1. Handbrake does a HORRIBLE job with 4K UHD so I use a different program for those. Transcoding is usually around 45 minutes or so but the file sizes are massive and subtitles are hit and miss.

For what it's worth, I haven't experienced the issues with Lionsgate films others have. I did all three John Wick movies from 4K UHD without a hitch. Cool subtitles and all!

Sorry for the multiple subject posting. Just trying to be efficient. Read what you want, ignore the rest I guess.
jwca99

Post by jwca99 »

I'm running into a new problem with ripping BluRays that I buy used off eBay. I've never had a problem before but this one is giving me SCSI errors and all kinds of issues. Has anything changed lately in terms of how BluRays are encrypted or protected? Can anyone steer me in the right direction about how to read my error logs?

Much thanks for any help you can provide.

J
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

jwca99 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:22 am
I'm running into a new problem with ripping BluRays that I buy used off eBay. I've never had a problem before but this one is giving me SCSI errors and all kinds of issues. Has anything changed lately in terms of how BluRays are encrypted or protected? Can anyone steer me in the right direction about how to read my error logs?

Much thanks for any help you can provide.

J
Without seeing the error logs, I can't say for sure, but most likely the errors indicate the drive was unable to read the disc correctly. This is most likely because the disc is dirty or scratched. Try cleaning the disc and trying again.
nsaaki

Post by nsaaki »

philbax wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:39 am
Just a quick note: you don't *have* to rip with MakeMKV separately and then convert with Handbrake.

You can make two copies of the appropriate libmmbd library (libmmbd.dll on Windows with 32-bit Handbrake; libmmbd64.dll with 64-bit Handbrake) in the Handbrake install directory, and name them "libaacs.dll" and "libbdplus.dll" (or .dylib on Mac), restart Handbrake, and Handbrake will be able to scan and rip Blu-rays directly. Saves quite a bit of time!

Edit: I believe you can do the same in the VLC install directory to be able to open Blu-Rays with VLC.
Does this still work? I'm using Handbrake v1.3.3 and MakeMKV v1.15.3. I've tried both using symbolic links and directly copying the correct dll from MakeMKV to the Handbrake directory, with changing the name and Handbrake find no title. According to the logs in Handbrake it states the disc is encrypted. I can directly use MakeMKV to rip the disc
harpoma

Post by harpoma »

This turns out to be a bug in the libbluray contrib library.

It appears that you can no longer use -i /dev/disk3 you must use -i /Volumes/MountPoint. I have submitted a merge request for it.

So provided you have the libraries in the correct place and links in place you can use handbrakecli -i /Volume/MountPoint

Give that a try. I can now use 1.3.3