Finding Vanishing Rips due to missing Name string

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
mrchowmein

Finding Vanishing Rips due to missing Name string

Post by mrchowmein »

This maybe helpful to someone in the future. I wasnt able to find it when I searched around.

Fight Club is one of those blurays with no name or title strings. It's just a period "." for all the titles.

I accidentally saved the rip to my Movies directory without fixing the file name and the rip vanished. I was down 33gb! I used Spotlight and wasnt able to find the .mkv files. At first, I was going to post here to see if anyone could help, but then I realized the "." itself changed the file to a hidden file. The default (non-expert) mode will just use the name strings in the BR to populate the outfile file name. However since Fightclub was using "." , when prepended to a file, it turns it into a hidden file. FYI, if you want to hide files, you can do this too. MacOS Finder will not allow you to see this hidden file even if you turned it on from Finder (Shift+Command+.), you need to go into Terminal.

So... to recover the hidden file.
-go into Terminal and navigate to you the directory where you saved the rip
-type the following to reveal all the hidden files. -a flag reveals all files:

Code: Select all

ls -a
-the hidden mkv should appear as something similar to: "._t01.mkv"
-rename the file by typing

Code: Select all

mv ._t101.mkv newfilename.mkv
-go back to finder and your file should reappear.
Arndrell

Re: Finding Vanishing Rips due to missing Name string

Post by Arndrell »

Saved my ass, thank you
Ripped Fight Club 3x and about to give up till I found this post!
Obsessive compulsive ripper and collector since finding Make MKV!
Converting nearly 1,200 Blu Rays and UHD in 1:1 format to a Plex library serviced by Infuse.