VLC BLu-Ray playback no longer seems to work?

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
ChrisJ60

VLC BLu-Ray playback no longer seems to work?

Post by ChrisJ60 »

VLC direct Blu-Ray playback, as described here (https://2mkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... 23f3d8b71a), no longer seems to work; is this expected?

I have macOS 10.14.5, VLC 3.0.7.1 and MakeMKV 1.14.4. I have created the symlinks in ~/lib as described in the article but when I try to open a Blu-Ray disk in VLC I get an error from VLC saying 'This Blu-ray Disc needs a library for AACS decoding, and your system does not have it.'

I notice that the instructions are from 2013; has something changed since then and maybe they need to be updated?
ChrisJ60

Re: VLC BLu-Ray playback no longer seems to work?

Post by ChrisJ60 »

An update on this; I placed the symlinks in /usr/local/lib instead of ~/lib and now VLC seems to find the library and starts trying to open the disc but then VLC disappears (seems likely it crashed) but there is no crash report or anything else to indicate what the problem is.

Any chance of getting this to work using latest macOS, VLC and MakeMKV?
ChrisJ60

Post by ChrisJ60 »

Interestingly this works (with the libraries in /usr/local/lib) under macOS Catalina Beta 3. However it complains that Java is missing so there is no menu support. I'm wondering if it is a Java issue on my other system causing VLC to crash. I wonder what version of Java VLC is expecting.
tribble

Post by tribble »

I logged in to post about this exact issue.

macOS 10.13.6, VLC 3.0.7, MakeMKV 1.14.4.

I've tried creating the symlinks in ~/lib and /usr/local/lib and get the same error each way:

This Blu-ray Disc needs a library for AACS decoding, and your system does not have it.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Likely a Catalina issue. should be fixed in a next version of MakemKV
tribble

Post by tribble »

Should probably point out that I'm running High Sierra when I receive this error message, not Catalina. The OP says he was running 10.14 (Mojave). So not likely a Catalina issue, then.

I'll test again with 1.14.7 when I get the chance, but I won't be upgrading to Catalina any time soon so hopefully any fix will be backwards-compatible.
galbibob

Post by galbibob »

Most likely VLC runtime hardening issue.
Please see here: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... bob#p74939
tribble

Post by tribble »

galbibob wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:12 pm
Most likely VLC runtime hardening issue.
Please see here: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... bob#p74939
Yup, looks a good candidate for the root of this problem.

Only wrinkle is that I'm running High Sierra, not Mojave. I checked the VLC change log and there's no mention of the runtime hardening being extended back to High Sierra at any point. So, it's still a mystery why this feature is broken for me.

GHender3 wrote in the post you linked to:
2 choices - turn it [SIP] off and use the newest VLC, or stick with 3.0.4. UNLESS there is a way to find a modified (unofficial) VLC package.
The third option is for the MakeMKV devs to sign the dylibs, but I don't know if they're allowed to do that.

Meanwhile, they should update their Sticky to make users aware of the new situation.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

The lastes VLC with hardened runtime can load unsigned libraries, but the library must be in a specific location (current ~/lib does not work) and built with a specific flag (current one is not compatible). The next version of MakeMKV will have a fix.
madacj

Post by madacj »

VLC Blu-ray playback has also stopped for me get the message Blu-ray Disc is corrupted and cannot play selected input or whatever the other message said I can’t remember. Using the latest update on macOS Big Sur latest vlc version and most recent make mkv for mac.
Two Blu-rays I have a problem with so far are absolutely fabulous the movie region b. And Clarkson the Italian job assume it’ll be the same result for whatever disc I try to play at the moment Thanks