MakeMKV requests Calendar Permission

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
v2cyclone

MakeMKV requests Calendar Permission

Post by v2cyclone »

After reinstalling MakeMKV on my Mac mini running Mojave, I found the app prompts me to give it permission to access my calendars when attempting to change the data directory in the Preferences. I don't believe I've ever had a version of the app ask after years of use. The only reason I can think it would ask is for determining when the beta keys are valid however I've purchased a key and it only asks in this one instance.

Is this intentional behavior or some kind of glitch? I can't seem to find anything anywhere on the subject. Thanks in advance for any help or direction!
v2cyclone

Re: MakeMKV requests Calendar Permission

Post by v2cyclone »

Good morning everyone. I find myself a bit perplexed at the lack of information on this subject given I originally asked about this two years ago. Upon installing MakeMKV on macOS Big Sur and attempting to change the directory for completed files, the app still asks for calendar access. After denying the app access, closing, and reopening the app to attempt to change the directory it then asks for access to removable volumes (which does make sense). Repeat and it will ask for access to reminders (this is new, it didn't do this back when I originally brought this up).

When I proposed this question on Reddit around the same time, someone proposed it was so the app could mark its beta key functionality. This doesn't makes sense as it should just be using the date and time of the system, not the calendars. Second, I purchased a license key, it shouldn't even need to check in the first place.

Does anyone know why it does this or has the developer mentioned anything about it in any of the update posts? Even though I've used this application on macOS and Windows for years, I'd still feel much more comfortable if I understood why it was asking for those permissions.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Is permission for calendar access necessary to get the system date?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
v2cyclone

Post by v2cyclone »

While I’m not entirely certain, I doubt it’d be necessary for an app to require either set of permissions just to read the date and time. I guess I’d find it confusing if that were the case.

My understanding is when an app is requesting access to the calendar or reminders it’s doing so in order to read or write calendar or reminder data, not accessing system tools. The only legitimate use-case I can think of is the app might be capable of making a calendar entry and/or a reminder for when the 40-some day period expires. If that’s the case, I can’t find any documentation indicating that’s a function. It just comes off as suspicious.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I have the paid version of MakeMKV on a M1 Big Sur system and it hasn't asked me for Calendar access. It has asked for (& I have granted) 'Files and Folders' -> 'Removable Volumes' access, which makes sense.
v2cyclone

Post by v2cyclone »

dcoke22 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:09 pm
I have the paid version of MakeMKV on a M1 Big Sur system and it hasn't asked me for Calendar access. It has asked for (& I have granted) 'Files and Folders' -> 'Removable Volumes' access, which makes sense.
I have a paid serial key as well. If you go into the app settings and try to change the default directory, it doesn't ask for those permissions?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

v2cyclone wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:57 pm
I have a paid serial key as well. If you go into the app settings and try to change the default directory, it doesn't ask for those permissions?
Are you talking about the 'MakeMKV data directory' field on the General tab of MakeMKV preferences? Mine is still the default, which is your user's Library/MakeMKV. This directory holds various settings files and the .tar file that contains all the downloaded decryption keys. I've had no reason to change it.

My optical drives and the volumes rips are being written to are removable volumes, however, which is why MakeMKV needs access.

You might be referring to settings in the 'Default destination' section of Video tab of MakeMKV preferences. Mine is set to 'Auto', although, in truth, I end up changing it by hand for every rip in the interface, so this setting has little use in my workflow.