Audio problems

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
reevescajr

Audio problems

Post by reevescajr » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:44 pm

I've been using MakeMKV and Handbrake to create mp4 files from Blu-ray disks, saving them on a 2TB drive and watching them on my home theater using a ROKU box. I noticed two audio problems last night with the two movies I checked. The sub-woofer volume was much, much less than it is when watching from disk, not an entirely bad thing, since in some scenes it is way too loud from disk. Yea, I know I can reduce it using the volume control on the sub-woofer itself, or from the less than intuitive setting on my receiver, but then I'd just have to set it back to watch DVD movie files or TV. More importantly, the right rear surround is missing. I'm picking DTS 3/2+1 in MakeMKV. I tried the DTS+HD Lossless setting, but that completely screwed up the audio when I watched it in VLC on the computer.

I was using MakeMKV 1.7.0, but just downloaded 1.7.2 and just now created a new MKV file. The audio setting in Handbrake formerly showed DD 5:1 as the only choice available from the MKV file. It now shows DTS (5.1), so maybe the problem has been fixed. I'll know when I have the time available on my MacPro for Handbrake to do its thing.

Smithcraft

Re: Audio problems

Post by Smithcraft » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:31 am

What were the audio settings you used for Handbrake?

SC