martylavender

MakeMKV --> PS3MediaServer --> Streaming to Playstation 3

Post by martylavender » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:45 pm

Current setup:

27" iMac 8GB 2.8Ghz Quad i7
HP bd340i Blu-ray Drive
PS3 Fat connected via 1GB wired LAN
Pioneer VSX-820-k Receiver

This has been covered somewhere I am sure but I have yet to find really good information on how to go about this.

I am ripping a blu-ray with MakeMKV "Ratatouille" specifically. The MKV is made without issue. I can open this in VLC and play it with no issue at all.

If I attempt to stream this to my PS3 via PS3MS I get a data corrupt error. I tried with "The Wedding Singer" and re-encoding it via Handbrake and while it did manage to play, the movie skipped around between different places in the movie.

Is there something I am missing in this process?

Does anyone have a guide on the best way to rip a blu-ray and make it streamable to the PS3?

The MKV's that I download play flawlessly.

martylavender

Re: MakeMKV --> PS3MediaServer --> Streaming to Playstation

Post by martylavender » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:07 am

No one?

mike admin

Post by mike admin » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:10 am

It's a well know MKV incompatibility with current version of MakeMKV. For PS3 you may crate a decrypted "full disc backup" with MakeMKV and then stream M2TS files or use multiavchd to create playable usb media. For MKV, passing MKV produces by MakeMKV through mkvmerge should fix the problem.

martylavender

Post by martylavender » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:48 pm

So testing with Resident Evil: Afterlife I ripped the movie using MakeMKV. I then re-encoded the movie using Handbrake to m4v. Tested this out running through PS3MediaServer. Plays without issue and looks beautiful.

captain

Post by captain » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:06 pm

Sure, but that's another 6 HOURS of transcoding through Handbrake *if* you figure out exactly what settings to use for PS3 (the Handbrake guys vehemently deny any guarantee or even hints).

I have a suspicion that the problem lies in MakeMKV *compressing the headers* in the mkv files. I read somewhere, in the middle of a 20hr thrash on this exact problem, that PS3 Media Server and/or the PS3 player has a problem with compressed headers. Could this be what is going on? and if so is there a way to simply uncompress the headers and re-save the mkv file?

Thanks

mike admin

Post by mike admin » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:18 pm

captain wrote:I have a suspicion that the problem lies in MakeMKV *compressing the headers* in the mkv files. I read somewhere, in the middle of a 20hr thrash on this exact problem, that PS3 Media Server and/or the PS3 player has a problem with compressed headers. Could this be what is going on? and if so is there a way to simply uncompress the headers and re-save the mkv file?
MakeMKV never uses "header compression" as gains are small but it creates compatibility problems.