ScSi Error

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
MacUser09

ScSi Error

Post by MacUser09 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:25 pm

I have two problems. The first being this SCSI error message.

I am trying to rip Rome TV series SE01 EP01 and 02 from dual layer blu ray.
I am using MakeMKV 1.6.7 and DASPA v1.2, and external LG drive BH10LS30 connected to Mac running 10.6.7
I get the following message mentioning a SCSI error:

MakeMKV v1.6.7 darwin(x86-release) started
Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as /Users/billy/MakeMKV_log.txt
Optical drive "DVD+R-DL OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5680H 3AHB" opened in DASPI v1.2 mode.
Optical drive "BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH10LS30 1.00" opened in DASPI v1.2 mode.
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:INVALID COMMAND OPERATION CODE' occurred while issuing SCSI command 46020..00140 to device 'DASPI:IODASPIService:afe14a24c5ff2bcd:'
DEBUG: Code 0 at 39c]U=R!S2$5#W}<:213137183
Optical drive "BD-ROM WD Virtual CD 1112 1012" opened in DASPI v1.2 mode.
Using direct disc access mode
File 00103.mpls was added as title #0
File 00005.mpls was added as title #1
File 00102.mpls was added as title #2
File 00024.mpls was added as title #3
File 00025.mpls was added as title #4
File 00026.mpls was added as title #5
File 00101.mpls was added as title #6
File 00027.mpls was added as title #7
File 00013.m2ts was added as title #8
Title #00015.m2ts has length of 13 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00016.m2ts has length of 7 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00017.m2ts has length of 7 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00032.m2ts has length of 7 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00033.m2ts has length of 7 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00020.m2ts has length of 58 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00021.m2ts has length of 52 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00022.m2ts has length of 57 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00024.m2ts has length of 47 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00025.m2ts has length of 47 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00026.m2ts has length of 47 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00027.m2ts has length of 47 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00028.m2ts has length of 47 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00029.m2ts has length of 42 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00030.m2ts has length of 41 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00031.m2ts has length of 42 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00034.m2ts has length of 57 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Operation successfully completed

More info:
HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH10LS30:

Firmware Revision: 1.00
Interconnect: USB
Burn Support: Yes (Generic Drive Support)
Profile Path: None
Cache: 4096 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RAM, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
BD-Write: -R, -RE
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
Media:
Type: BD-ROM
Blank: No
Erasable: No
Overwritable: No
Appendable: No

USB to ATA/ATAPI Bridge:

Capacity: 39.92 GB (39,917,912,064 bytes)
Removable Media: Yes
Detachable Drive: Yes
BSD Name: disk1
Product ID: 0x2338
Vendor ID: 0x152d (JMicron Technology Corp.)
Version: 1.00
Serial Number: 595A6E336242
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: JMicron
Location ID: 0xfd140000
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 2
Media Name: ROME_S1_DISC1
Partition Map Type: Unknown
S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported

The second problem:
The BR disc (Disc 1) has the first two episodes on it, but I can only find the first one, and a documentary on how it was made.
Would MakeMKV have a problem reading a dual layer disc? I am just wondering if this might have something to do with it.
Other than that, any ideas how I might find it?

mike admin

Re: ScSi Error

Post by mike admin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:36 am

The scsi error is harmless - you have this new "smart" portable WD harddrive that pretends to emulate CD drive but does it incorrectly. As for missing episodes please send CLPI/M2TS per http://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/8/catid/6

spense01

Post by spense01 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:00 pm

Hi,

New to the forums but have been using MakeMKV for a while. I too now all of the sudden have ScSi errors, specifically states "error_05 when trying to access the following..." then lists what I am assuming is the block or byte it's trying to read. I've read the other posts and NO I don't have a WD Passport drive connected. I have never had a problem until the past week. I am using an external Blu-Ray drive via FW800 on a Macbook Pro, 10.6.7 and no other peripheral is connected.

The odd thing is the main title file will write an output of 3.5GB while the progress in the program window gets to about 17.5GB before the error appears. Then MakeMKV stops responding sometimes, or it will finish and just state that it failed.

I removed all traces of MakeMKV, re-installed it and reinstalled the DASPI 1.2 extension and the problem is the same. I even borrowed a friend's disc of the same movie (Duplicity) and the behavior is the same so it's not a disc problem. I've also successfully burned data to dual-layer DVD's with the same drive so I am assuming it's not a malfunction of my Blu-Ray Burner.

Any help, or any more info needed to further troubleshoot would be much appreciated.

mike admin

Post by mike admin » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:07 am

spense01 wrote:I too now all of the sudden have ScSi errors, specifically states "error_05 when trying to access the following..."
This is general drive connection error reported by OS. If the drive worked before and errors started only recently, I would blame the firewire cable.

spense01

Post by spense01 » Mon May 02, 2011 2:42 am

Well after much trouble-shooting and isolation I think it's a failure on MKV's part-I tried different FW cables. USB cables give an entirely different result (I think in part with USB's limitations handling video) but still fail. I have a new Blu-Ray "The Pacific" Box Set and I've noticed people on the forum have had various, seemingly unrelated, problems with these discs. I only started having the errors on newer Blu-Ray's..

-"Duplicity" won't rip. I tried the disc on another blu-ray drive in the same brand enclosure (friend's) and the same FW cable and it got further but then still failed.

-Disc one of the Pacific-when MKV is done decrypting it-shows too many titles than what is actually represented on the disc. There are two sets of what seem to be the main titles (episodes 1 & 2) and the first two rip fine, but the the second set-which are the same size and length-give the scsi error 05 and the whole thing freezes. If I force quit MKV Finder will crash. Oddly enough the two titles that save are not the same size as what was showing in MKV and Handbrake claims there aren't valid video files when I point it to the directory of the the MKV output. Yet when they are opened in VLC they play fully and have no issues.

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on what is going on?

Nicholas.D

Post by Nicholas.D » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:36 am

"MKV and Handbrake claims there aren't valid video files when I point it to the directory of the the MKV output"

Do they have over 20 "lines" Audio + Video +Subtitles?

Saw it in another post.

spense01

Post by spense01 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:41 pm

Nicholas.D wrote:"MKV and Handbrake claims there aren't valid video files when I point it to the directory of the the MKV output"

Do they have over 20 "lines" Audio + Video +Subtitles?

Saw it in another post.
I'm not sure what you're referring to but I've pretty muched solved all my problems at this point and posting the following as an FYI only:

1) for the "Pacific" rip issues it boils down to the titles you chose. Each disc has 2 sets of possible titles for each episode. One which contains all language and subtitle data and one that doesn't. They are the same in size but only one results in a valid MKV file that Handbrake recognizes.

2) this is most important but sad to say. Every failure I had with scsi errors etc. that i eluded to before DO NOT replicate in Windows. I am unfortunately relegated to running bootcamp with Win7 and using USB from my blu-ray since a FireWire driver doesn't exist for the drive to be recognized. So what I am saying is in OS X I still get a failure EVERY TIME with either a FireWire connection or USB. I switch to Windows and like magic everything is fine. The ScSi error IS NOT my drive or cable. It is definitely a software failure with MakeMKV and OS X. Being an avid Mac person this is quite frustrating!