Blue ray data disk will not open ?

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
jmusich

Blue ray data disk will not open ?

Post by jmusich » Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:55 pm

I have a bluray data disk with various video files on it or so i am told. When I put it into my player it will not open. Over the counter Blurays open without any difficulty. I am using mac oSX the disk was burned on a windows machine. Thanks

Woodstock

Re: Blue ray data disk will not open ?

Post by Woodstock » Sun Jun 30, 2024 6:19 pm

Burned on a Windows machine means nothing if the disk was not burned as a Bluray Video Disk.

Each type of disk that MakeMKV expects to open has specifications, including directories and data in those directories. If it wasn't burned with those in place, it isn't a "BD", it's just a data disk on a Bluray disk.

Have you tried simply opening the disk with Finder and reading the data? There shouldn't be any copy protection to work around (main reason to need MakeMKV).
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging

jmusich

Post by jmusich » Mon Jul 01, 2024 2:59 am

Thanks for the response. I dropped the Bluray disk into the drive. When I look at the left column I see no disk icon for the bluray player. I am running Ventura. The disk wss burned on a pcee running Cyberlink Power2Go 8. This is the drive I am using BD-RE MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ260AF 1.00 WP72 012428d. The drive is running And i get what you see in the attached shot...

dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 » Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:25 pm

In macOS Finder, after you place an optical disc in the drive, you might be able to hear the drive spin up and macOS will read the title of the disc. After a few moments, the disc will show up on the left side of Finder, probably in the Locations section along with any other drives you have mounted.

If this does not happen, you could try power cycling both the computer and the optical drive.

If the disc still doesn't show up, but other blu-rays do work, then probably there's something weird with the disc or how it was burned.