Is MakeMkv the best tool for me - Noobie Question

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
Sigerson

Is MakeMkv the best tool for me - Noobie Question

Post by Sigerson »

I have a Noobie Question. I have started the long process of ripping DVD’s & Blu-Rays using MakeMKV to install on a Plex Media Server on a Mac (OS X). But I’m wondering if this is the correct tool for me. Unlike most, I want all the extras, commentaries, deleted scenes, etc. The Blu-ray’s should be 1080P and have HD Sound. Is MakeMKV the right tool for me? Should I use something else or even a different media server? Thanks, one and all, for you advice.
Woodstock

Re: Is MakeMkv the best tool for me - Noobie Question

Post by Woodstock »

Yes, MakeMKV can be the tool for you, assuming you have gobs of space on your server. You can use the "Backup" feature for bluray and have exact, second-by-second copies of the BD on your drive, to test the limitations of your hardware. A typical BD is going to take up 25-50GB of space to store that way.

For DVDs, it doesn't do that... it's not going to save menus, but you CAN set it to rip every title, regardless of its length.

But, if you ever come to the conclusion that drive space isn't cheap, MakeMKV can still be part of your process. You select what you want, rip it to MKV files, and then you can post-process it with other tools (like handbrake from handbrake.fr) to make the files more manageable and portable (not all players can handle raw M2TS files).

The nice thing about it is, you can use it for free for now, within the limitation that you're periodically have to update the beta access key.
Sigerson

Post by Sigerson »

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.
tmokbel1965

Post by tmokbel1965 »

It works great for my intended purpose, but it really depends on a number of different variables. Give it a try and find out! :)