Converting MPC to FLAC?

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
jcsmith900

Converting MPC to FLAC?

Post by jcsmith900 »

So I'm trying to watch Wages of Fear through VLC, but I get this message:

"VLC does not support the audio or video format "s16l"
Unfortunately there is no way to fix this."

So I went to the Bing and Google and I found mixed responses as to what I should do to get the audio playing, but the basic idea was somehow I was supposed to use MakeMKV as usual then convert the audio format to FLAC. One user on an old forum suggested using FFmpeg - I'm not the most computer savvy, but this directed me to the terminal on my mac and wouldn't let me type any lines of command. So I'm stuck, what do I do?

Sorry if I'm breaking any forum rules - first post.

Thanks all.

Edit: Mac OS 10.6.8
Romansh

Re: Converting MPC to FLAC?

Post by Romansh »

You can use MakeMKV. Enable Expert mode in Preferences > General, and use the FLAC conversion profile. MakeMKV can also open its own MKV output, so you don't need to re-rip.
jcsmith900

Post by jcsmith900 »

Thanks for replying.

I have already ripped the movie, but like I said its audio file doesn't play in VLC so...

In MakeMKV, when I check off expert mode do I select FLAC for default profile? If so, what then? It asks for either an 'FFMPEG' or a 'dtshddec.dll' location...

EDIT:

Okay so I now just used the 'Open Files' option on the regular MakeMKV window and pulled up the movie. Under profile it now says FLAC... do I just hit the MakeMKV 'Save Selected Titles' button like usual and expect that to take care of the problem, or is there a little more to it?

EDIT:

Okay, when I do that it I get this message every time: "Failed to execute external program 'ffmpeg' from location..."
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

Not sure what's happening - MakeMKV has an internal copy of ffmpeg that should work as long as you don't specify any path (empty).
jcsmith900

Post by jcsmith900 »

Okay that's what happened... I had fooled around and designated an FFMPEG location.

It works perfectly now, thanks a lot!