MakeMKV suggested hardware and process questions

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
jodysmith

MakeMKV suggested hardware and process questions

Post by jodysmith »

I'm taking an older MacPro and setting it up as a MakeMKV/Plex box. It's the 2nd gen MacPro that has the IDE optical cables. So I'll have to run new SATA cables from the two spare ports on the MB.

My real question is; I have to buy an internal BR drive and was curious what is the consensus on best drive? Is there a drive (brand/model) that works best with MakeMKV?

Second question, and I realize this isn't a support forum for other software....

But I am trying to automate as much of the process as I can, does anyone has a system/process they use to get rips from disc to Plex that they are willing to share?
I have a ton of BR's that came with SD digital copies, or none at all that I want HD versions in my library, so automation would be great.

Thanks in advance!
Smithcraft

Re: MakeMKV suggested hardware and process questions

Post by Smithcraft »

I've used Asus drives, but I'm sure LG would be good to use. Incase you end up trying an external drive, make sure it's powered by a power connection and not the USB bus.

I'm not aware of a simple process to go from MakeMKV to Plex, but there might be.

SC
trumpet205

Re: MakeMKV suggested hardware and process questions

Post by trumpet205 »

Many newer BD drives are riplocked, that is they'll limit the BD-ROM read speed to 2x on hardware level. So instead of 20 minutes ripping it can take 1 hour per disc.

Don't know if newer LG drives are riplocked or not. Older ones aren't. Most Pioneer are locked.

I'm using LG WH14NS40.