MKV ONLY or FULL DISC IMAGE (ISO)

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
coolcambo

MKV ONLY or FULL DISC IMAGE (ISO)

Post by coolcambo »

Hi
Even though it is states "MakeMKV", I just wanted to see if you can rip a full disc image, therefore forming it into an ".iso" file?

If not, can anyone recommend software that is NOT DVDFab. (Who really wants to pay $60!)

Thanks!
Coolcambo
P.S. Mac DVDRipperPro does Full Disc Images. DVD ONLY. NOT BLU-RAY. 5 RIP TRIAL. BUY $24.95.
Ravenwood

Re: MKV ONLY or FULL DISC IMAGE (ISO)

Post by Ravenwood »

MakeMKV can create a full disc backup, but it creates a folder and not an ISO. So you have to create the ISO yourself with Disk Utility. I followed this guide:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1135728/createiso.html
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

As far as I recall, it copies the Bluray disc to a folder, not to an ISO. It doesn't do this for DVDs, which it only rips to mkv files.

SC
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

There are other tools for creating ISO files of DVDs and BDs. MakeMKV is not what you want if you're wanting an ISO.

As mentioned, MakeMKV can create a decrypted (optionally) copy of a BD's file structure, which some players can read, or it can create MKV files of the titles within that directory structure.
Fabio88

Post by Fabio88 »

In which case should I prefer the ISO instead of the directory structure of MakeMKV?
thanks helping me understanding how this world works!
Zorro

Post by Zorro »

To make an full (decrypted) ISO image of your blu-ray using MakeMKV, you first need to create a decrypted backup using MakeMKV to a target folder. Then you can use a freeware disc/ISO image creation tool (like ImgBurn) to generate an ISO image of your blu-ray. Pretty easy! :)