How do you turn on embedded subtitles?

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
KRArmstrong

How do you turn on embedded subtitles?

Post by KRArmstrong »

I have a registered version of MakeMKV version 1.7.6 for Mac. I want to have subtitles embedded and everyone talks about turning that on but I can not find it in the preferences.
Woodstock

Re: How do you turn on embedded subtitles?

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV will normally rip the subtitle tracks and put them into the MKV file automatically.

If you're asking about rendering them onto the video track, that would require something like Handbrake.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Luckily MakeMKV sets regular subs to off by default. Open the mkv in MKVmerge's header editor and set the default flag to yes (which can still be ignored by your player).
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
KRArmstrong

Post by KRArmstrong »

I was trying to use handbrake but it will not read the subtitles. Handbrakes doc says that mkvs need embedded subtitle track or I need the subtitles in some other file format. I do not see where MakeMKV allows me to embed the subtitles or make another subtitle file. Is my only recourse to use a third party program that is not officially for the mac? Or is there a way within makeMKV?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Release version of HB (0.9.7, I think) or one of the nightly builds?

The release version doesn't know about PGS subtitles from Bluray disks. The nightly build version can read PGS subtitles from either an MKV or a MakeMKV BD backup directory, and burn them into the video (when outputting MP4 files) or include the tracks themselves (MKV files).
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

KRArmstrong wrote:Is my only recourse to use a third party program that is not officially for the mac?
"Jonathan Buschmann provides a universal (32/64bits) package for Leopard/Snow Leopard for MKVToolNix. You can download the latest version (5.7.0 build 2012-07-11-cd22) directly from my site."

Sounds official enough to me.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch