Ripping HD DVD on Mac

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
B.Ounce

Ripping HD DVD on Mac

Post by B.Ounce »

Hi there, I'm new to MakeMKV and have been attempting to rip my small collection of HD DVDs. The first one went without issue. The second one, however, does not seem to want to read most of the EVO files on the disc and will only rip a couple of the featurettes but doesn't seem to even recognize the main film. I've observed the following messages and errors:

"It's highly recommended to install DASPI kernel extension to improve performance."

"Automatic HK downloading is disabled or failed."

numerous messages containing "The source file [insert name] is corrupt or invalid at offset 4249600, attempting to work around"

I am using an XBox HD DVD drive with a Macbook Pro (16" 2019) running OSX 10.13.7 (Ventura). I've seen other posts on the forums about similar issues but nothing pointing me to a solution. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Woodstock

Re: Ripping HD DVD on Mac

Post by Woodstock »

The HK failure message indicates that your system cannot contact the server to get keys for UHD disks. That's one thing to deal with. There are a copy of topics that discuss that here.

The corrupt/invalid message usually indicates that something is interfering with reading the disk, which could be dust, scratches, or speed-to-fast-for-available-power issues with USB-powered drives.