Digital Noise in Blu Ray

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
Mahgeetah

Digital Noise in Blu Ray

Post by Mahgeetah » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:30 am

I recently tried ripping the first disc of the Life BBC series, and all went well except for the quality. When I watched the disc with the streaming option, the picture was pristine, however after ripping it there is now image noise in each title (there are 3). The image is grainy in dark places and has noticeable RGB noise in colorful scenes. Any thoughts as to why? There were no hiccups or anything in the process itself and I'm using the most recent version of VLC for playback. I have Snow Leopard as well.

skittle

Re: Digital Noise in Blu Ray

Post by skittle » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:42 am

Hi, MakeMKV does not change the streams at all, it simply dumps it to an mkv container. Please post a screenshot of the problem so we can address the issue.

Mahgeetah

Post by Mahgeetah » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:27 pm

Ok, here are two screenshots where the noise is visible.

RGB noise: Image
Grain: Image

It's not in your face, but to me it takes away from the image.

skittle

Post by skittle » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:41 pm

Hi did you check to see if this issue is present in the original stream on the disk? If its not present in the original stream, its probably a VLC decoding issue. Try playing back with a *recent* mplayer build.

Mahgeetah

Post by Mahgeetah » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:58 pm

It wasn't present in original disc playback, the video was pristine. I tried playing the MKV with two mplayer builds but it would not open the file, even the most recent build (2005?).

skittle

Post by skittle » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:09 am

lol from 2005? build it from source... its actively developed...

btw if it wasnt present in the original stream, its VLC being weird with color space conversion or something.