3D output for Plex

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
tcoble33

3D output for Plex

Post by tcoble33 »

I'm sure this has been covered, but my searches have come up empty, so here goes...

I'm attempting to use MakeMKV to rip 3D blu-ray discs, and I need the output to be in a format that will allow me to watch the movies in 3D via Plex Home Theater. So far I've tried ripping just the main movie file, then applying the naming convention that Plex requires. (i.e., adding "Half-SBS" or "H-SBS" to the filename.) However, Plex plays this as a normal 2D movie. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

I suspect that the issue may be that MakeMKV doesn't output the movie in the SBS format that Plex is looking for. If that's the issue, is there a solution? Alternately (for those who may also be Plex-savvy), is there a way to get Plex to recognize and play whatever format MakeMKV produces by default?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!
Romansh

Re: 3D output for Plex

Post by Romansh »

Plex doesn't have an MVC (Blu-ray 3D) decoder, as libavcodec doesn't have one. This could maybe work via hardware-accelerated decoding, but you should ask on the Plex support forum, not here.
tcoble33

Post by tcoble33 »

Thanks, this confirms my understanding of the situation. That being the case, is Make MKV capable of outputting H-SBS or other non-MVC formats?
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

No. Before anything like this would be done, MakeMKV developers would have to write, integrate or otherwise license both an MVC decoder and an AVC encoder.

Not to mention since video re-encoding is involved, it would take forever if you want non-crappy output.