External Blu Ray Drive Bottleneck?

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
sovanbu

Post by sovanbu »

I'm thinking of purchasing a higher read drive, currently own a 4X, to rip from MakeMKV.

My question or concern is, does MakeMKV throttle or where does the bottleneck occur when ripping from an external drive to my hard drive?

The 4X read maxes out in MakeMKV at 2.2X so I'm not sure where the bottle neck is occuring.

I'm afraid to waste money on a 12X Read USB 3.0 Blu Ray drive if MakeMKV simply won't read that fast.

Btw I have a i7 2.7GHz processor so I'm hoping that's not the issue.

Any help or feedback is appreciate.

Thank you!
nicholfd

Post by nicholfd »

The bottleneck is in the technology. The rated speed is under perfect conditions at just the right position on the disk. I have a "12x" drive connected via FireWire. I consistently rip at only 5-6x. This is with a current generation Mac Mini.

I have top of the line home built PC. It has an equivalently rated internal drive, of a different brand. It only rips at 4-5x consistently.

The rated speed is "up to".
sovanbu

Re: External Blu Ray Drive Bottleneck?

Post by sovanbu »

nicholfd wrote:The bottleneck is in the technology. The rated speed is under perfect conditions at just the right position on the disk. I have a "12x" drive connected via FireWire. I consistently rip at only 5-6x. This is with a current generation Mac Mini.

I have top of the line home built PC. It has an equivalently rated internal drive, of a different brand. It only rips at 4-5x consistently.

The rated speed is "up to".
Understood. I just need something better than the 2.2 read I'm currently getting.
DaveQ

Re: External Blu Ray Drive Bottleneck?

Post by DaveQ »

Be sure to read the entire thread:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4301

Dave