Pioneer BD-RW BDR-XS07 1.03

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
mikeporterinmd

Pioneer BD-RW BDR-XS07 1.03

Post by mikeporterinmd »

Hi,

TL;DR BDR-XS07 slow reading speed - limited to 2.0x on macOS 14.6.1. Solution Given

Bought this knowing it would not do LibreDrive. Just wanted to backup Blu Ray. However, on macOS, I was getting clamped at 2.0x read speed.

I found "Drive Utility for Mac OS X 10.6〜macOS Mojave 10.14", https://pioneer.jp/device_e/product-e/i ... 01r_e.html. I downloaded it, and reset to factory defaults. Then I turned off the quiet mode part (I forget exactly what it says, but there are only two choices) with save to Drive checked and now I am getting 4.8x (actually 5.7X now. Took a few minutes to write this. Ohhh... 6.0x...).

Also, I'm not really sure if the following is LibreDrive advice only or not. But, I edited ~/Library/MakeMKV/settings and edited the line:

speed_PIONEER_BD-RW__BDR-XS07_1.03_.... = "0=99"

from "" to "0-99". If you do not have this line in your settings file, start MakeMKV, bring up settings, and I think you just have to change something, exit MakeMKV, and then restart, possibly setting what you changed back to what it was. This may be old advice. Not sure.

Anyhow, I can now backup my Blu Rays at a decent speed.

Note: this drive will not read UHD and there is currently no way to make it do so. I have a drive that will, and I kinda want to save it for UHD and use the cheaper but decent drives for the far more common to me and my collection of Blu Ray.

Mike