Backups show only black screen w/ no audio

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
mkldrekka

Backups show only black screen w/ no audio

Post by mkldrekka »

I have been using Makemkv for a few months now, but only recently started using it to back up some DVDs and Blurays.

Both worked great for a while, both full backups and decrypted files... but my trail ended the other day so I reinstalled the latest version and betakey and now I have been having a strange issue.

* I put a Bluray in the drive and check that it plays fine on Blu-Ray Player Pro.
* But, when I make a backup and try to play the backup on Blu-Ray Player Pro, it reads the info the same way but all there is is a black screen w/ no audio.
* If I open the backup in Makemkv and rip decrypted mkvs, the files have both video and audio!

Any help or ideas?

MAC OS Big Sur 11.6.4
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

MAKEMKV
MakeMKV 1.17.7 [darwin(x64-release)] for Mac OS X

DRIVE
Archgon MD-8107S-U3-UHD

Everything worked perfect until two or three days ago.

Thanks for any advice or help.
Mkl.
dcoke22

Re: Backups show only black screen w/ no audio

Post by dcoke22 »

Are you making the backups with MakeMKV? Are they decrypted backups?

Do previous backups that worked still work?

As a side note, your 2019 MacBook Pro will support newer versions of macOS than Big Sur.
mkldrekka

Post by mkldrekka »

dcoke22 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:15 pm
Are you making the backups with MakeMKV? Are they decrypted backups?

Do previous backups that worked still work?

As a side note, your 2019 MacBook Pro will support newer versions of macOS than Big Sur.

Yes, I have been making backups with Makemkv, both full backups and decrypted backups.

Full backups I made two weeks ago still work, as do decrypted ones.

It was a few days ago, when I reinstalled Makemkv that I started getting this black screen / no audio issue.

And strangest is that I can still make decrypted files from the black screen full backups.

* I am still on Big Sur for software compatibility issues. But I also reinstalled Makemkv on two other laptops and am having the same issue.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Does every decrypted backup work?

If you take a disc for which your encrypted backup doesn't work with Blu-ray Player Pro and make a decrypted backup, does the decrypted backup work? (What I mean when I say decrypted backup is click the decrypt checkbox on the backup screen in MakeMKV.)

If MakeMKV correctly makes an encrypted or a decrypted backup of a regular blu-ray then it can make .mkv files from that backup. In my view, if you're making a backup, you should make a decrypted backup. The only reason to make an encrypted backup is in cases where a hashed key is not yet available for a 4K UHD and you want to verify the integrity of the disc.

If the only problem is when Blu-ray Player Pro encounters an encrypted backup, then it stands to reason that the fault lies with Blu-ray Player Pro's ability to decrypt a blu-ray, not with MakeMKV's ability to create a backup.
mkldrekka

Post by mkldrekka »

"If the only problem is when Blu-ray Player Pro encounters an encrypted backup, then it stands to reason that the fault lies with Blu-ray Player Pro's ability to decrypt a blu-ray, not with MakeMKV's ability to create a backup."

This seems to have fixed the issue, thanks for pointing that out! I didn't even think about that!

Thanks!