Endless Permission requests that are never honored

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
dcoke22

Re: Endless Permission requests that are never honored

Post by dcoke22 »

There's another thread where people have chatted on this topic. I don't know if it contains the answers, however.

Issue with MakeMKV 1.16.5 on M1 Macs running macOS Monterey (needs code signing)

I run MakeMKV on Monterey on Intel. I don't see the repeated permissions requests.
mmaslar

Post by mmaslar »

dcoke22 wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 12:18 am
There's another thread where people have chatted on this topic. I don't know if it contains the answers, however.

Issue with MakeMKV 1.16.5 on M1 Macs running macOS Monterey (needs code signing)

I run MakeMKV on Monterey on Intel. I don't see the repeated permissions requests.
That’s the thread I referenced earlier in this thread, but as WAYFLIX pointed out, that issue only impacts the installation. Anyway, the “solution” in that thread is to pay $99 for a developer account and sign the app yourself, so not really much of a solution.
larry47591

Post by larry47591 »

Still no real fix for this? Might Just start running mkv in parallels
blake27182

Post by blake27182 »

The above solution works for me as well -- Opening it through Terminal.

I tried creating a symlink for it in /usr/local/bin but it seems makemkv uses relative paths to open supporting files, so it cant find find them when invoked that way. Not too anoying for me though since i usually do these long-winded ripping sessions without closing the application. Still a good kink to work out in the future though.
cinemaslavejoe

Post by cinemaslavejoe »

I can't believe this still hasn't been fixed. Yes, it works through Terminal, but I didn't think programs would get harder to run after buying a Silcon Mac.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

cinemaslavejoe wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:12 am
but I didn't think programs would get harder to run after buying a Silcon Mac.
thats exactly what i would have expected apple making it scarier to run anything out of their app store that they cant make $$$ on.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
immutableme

Post by immutableme »

I've got a fix that worked for me. In terminal.app, run
codesign --force --deep --sign - /Applications/MakeMKV.app

If successful, you should get "replacing existing signature" response.

Now, jump over to Privacy & Security -> Files and Folders
Here you may want to uncheck and recheck. If you have two MakeMKV listed and one has a terminal icon, remove it.

Before doing the replacing existing signature, the terminal icon MakeMKV permission was for Removable Drive, but the Desktop and Documents was with a different permission that had MakeMKV logo. After doing the signature replacement, the Removable Drive permission showed up properly under the MakeMKV logo permission. After which, it never asked for permissions again.

Problem solved for me, and hopefully for you all.
mmaslar

Post by mmaslar »

immutableme wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2024 5:15 am
I've got a fix that worked for me. In terminal.app, run
codesign --force --deep --sign - /Applications/MakeMKV.app

If successful, you should get "replacing existing signature" response.

Now, jump over to Privacy & Security -> Files and Folders
Here you may want to uncheck and recheck. If you have two MakeMKV listed and one has a terminal icon, remove it.

Before doing the replacing existing signature, the terminal icon MakeMKV permission was for Removable Drive, but the Desktop and Documents was with a different permission that had MakeMKV logo. After doing the signature replacement, the Removable Drive permission showed up properly under the MakeMKV logo permission. After which, it never asked for permissions again.

Problem solved for me, and hopefully for you all.
Wow... It worked! Thanks for much for sharing!
immutableme

Post by immutableme »

mmaslar wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2024 2:26 am

Wow... It worked! Thanks for much for sharing!

Awesome! So glad to hear it! One thing unknown to me is whether the fix will persist after subsequent updates or if we’ll need to repeat this procedure. Fingers crossed it’s the former.