Blu-ray drive recognized, but discs are not (ie won't mount)

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
MakinInVT

Blu-ray drive recognized, but discs are not (ie won't mount)

Post by MakinInVT »

I am having more failures than successes mounting BD discs. The drive makes several spin attempts, but never spins up to speed, then gives up, with the disc never mounted.

This doesnt appear to be a MakeMKV problem, because the discs do not mount in the Mac Finder either, but I thought someone here might have some ideas.

CONFIGURATION

MacBook Pro (13", mid-2010), 2.4ghz Core2 Duo, 8gb memory, running Mac OS 10.6.8 (just updated from 10.6.4 in hope of fixing this)
Plextor PX-B120U external USB BD-ROM drive, running latest firmware, v 1.10 (released 7/19/2011)
MakeMKV 1.6.12, with this release's DASPI 1.3 package installed

NOT PROBLEMS

The drive itself does appear (apparently normal & fine) in Apple's System Profiler and MakeMKV.
The drive _and the discs_ DO mount when attached to a Dell tower running Windows Vista Business.
DVD discs in this drive DO mount fine.
I have had good success in the past using this exact drive unit, with previous versions of MakeMKV, mostly on a MacBook (13", 2009), 2.0ghz Core2 Duo, 4gb memory, running Mac OS 10.5.8, although that system doesn't mount them now either.

MY CONCLUSIONS

I don't think it's the drive, which
- though portable, is not carried around, is treated gingerly, and is in like new physical condition.
- is recognized by the OS and MakeMKV
- was succussfully updated to the latest firmware
- does mount discs under Windows, both before and after the firmware upgrade

I don't think it's the discs, because it occurs across several of them.

As I mentioned, I don't think this has anything to do with MakeMKV, unless it's the DASPI. I've read here that DASPI (1.3) is involved only in scanning, and not mounting.

I don't know what it might be, but I'm thinking there's some kind of lack of support in the Mac OS for this drive (which is reported by users as Mac-compatible, but not sold by Plextor as such), or for BD discs in general.

Any ideas, either specific or directional?
petee

Re: Blu-ray drive recognized, but discs are not (ie won't mo

Post by petee »

For the record, I have exactly the same issue, although I've just bought the drive, and boht of the first 2 movies I tried to process wouldn't mount.

I'm using Snow Leopard on a Macbook Pro 13.3

Any hints/tips gratefully received, otherwise this drive's gonna be an expensive paperweight...

Cheers
Pete
MakinInVT

Post by MakinInVT »

ADDITIONAL AND UPDATED INFORMATION:

- Disks will also not mount on a 2009 iMac (3.06ghz, 8gb, Mac OS 10.6 Snow Leopard), either natively or on a Widows Vista Business virtual machine run by VMWare Fusion.
- Now the drive will not mount discs on the abovementioned Dell desktop.
- On Plextor's support forums, I've found a thread in which 2 other users describe similar failures on the PX-B310U, at least one of which with a PC. The key similarities are the progression (from intermittent difficulty to constant difficulty to complete failure), and the unaffected ability to read DVDs.

http://www.plextoramericas.com/index.ph ... tid=8#3272

MY REVISED CONCLUSIONS

With the additional information above, now I think it IS the drive. If it won't work under Windows, and other people are having the same gradual onset problems (with a similar model), it seems as clear as I could hope to expect.

Fortunately (I guess), it's still under warranty, so I'll be returning it for repair. I sure wouldn't buy another Plextor.

Pete, it doesn't sound like you've had yours long enough to develop this gradual-onset problem. On the other hand it sounds like you may still be able to return it and get your money back, and buy something else.
petee

Post by petee »

MakininVT, that's REALLY helpful - thank you!

I think I'm gonna send this drive back, and maybe go a for an LG drive - that seems to be the preferred drive....

Cheers
Pete
petee

Post by petee »

Update: Works just fine with my mcmini. Same processor, same memory, same age as the laptop, only difference is that the mcmini is running Lion, the laptop Snow Leopard.

Gonna hang onto the drive, see how it performs, but seeing as the mcmini is the one I need it to work with, so far so good (even though I don't understand ;o)
jesper

Post by jesper »

Hello All.
I'm new to this site so please bear with me.I'm having the same problems as everyone else on this thread. The bd disk will not mount, The drive spins up about 3 times and then ejects the disk.
The obvious question is; Does the optical drive have to be a blue ray drive before it will mount? I know I'm dumb so don't laugh :lol:
I have searched the forum without any real luck. I' running makeMKV 1,6 13 , daspi1.3
Macbook Pro 15"
Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Thanks in advanve,
J
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

Blu-ray discs require a Blu-ray drive, yes.
jesper

Post by jesper »

thanks.I thought so :D