Convert backup to ISO

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
wesg92

Convert backup to ISO

Post by wesg92 »

Hello,

What is the best tool/app to use to convert a backup folder from MakeMKV (BDMV) to an ISO file, on a Mac?

Thanks!
dcoke22

Re: Convert backup to ISO

Post by dcoke22 »

I almost never have the need to convert a MakeMKV backup into an .iso, but it can be done with the tools built into macOS. Disk Utility can create an image from the backup folder. In my testing I've selected the DVD/CD Master format which produces an image with the extension .cdr. This is a Mac specific image format.

The next step is to convert from the .cdr format to an .iso file written with the UDF filesystem since that's what blu-rays use. You can do this by using the hdiutil command in Terminal.

Code: Select all

hdiutil makehybrid -udf -o outputfile.iso sourcefile.cdr
Substitute the appropriate filenames for the output filename and the source filename.
wesg92

Post by wesg92 »

Is it better to create the image from the MakeMKC backup folder, or just create the image in disk utility directly from the disk? Does it matter? Thanks!
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

If you do it from dd (the command line program to image to ISO) off the disc, you have to be careful and understand the limitations. LibreDrive MUST be active for it to work on UHD and a lot of blu-rays because of bus encryption. LibreDrive will disable it, allowing you to make a protected ISO. But understand that the ISO is still going to be AACS encrypted. But I created protected ISOs myself until I'm sure my MKV is good to go. But make sure LibreDrive is active when you create the ISO and you should be good.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Like SamuriHL says, making an ISO directly from the disk is not as straight forward as it seems. You can avoid a lot of complication by making it from a decrypted MakeMKV backup.

Out of curiosity, why are you interested in making such a thing in the first place?
wesg92

Post by wesg92 »

I'm wanting to create an ISO file for my media player for certain discs.

I'd like to use MakeMKV to do this if I can, so just looking for the steps to do so.

It seems like I should do this:
1. Create backup BDMV structure of disc using MakeMKV
2. Create Disk Utility to create an image of the backup folder - I'm not exactly sure how to do this, as I've only seen options in Disk Utility to select the hard drive or disk drive. How can I point it to the BDMV folders?
3. Convert the .cdr file to a .iso

I didn't understand anything SamuriHL said, lol. Sorry!
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

wesg92 wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:00 pm
1. Create backup BDMV structure of disc using MakeMKV
It'll probably work best if you make sure the checkbox for decrypt is checked when you use MakeMKV to create a backup.
wesg92 wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:00 pm
2. Create Disk Utility to create an image of the backup folder - I'm not exactly sure how to do this, as I've only seen options in Disk Utility to select the hard drive or disk drive. How can I point it to the BDMV folders?
Follow the Disk Utility link from my earlier post and scroll down to the section titled: Create a disk image from a folder or connected device
wesg92

Post by wesg92 »

Got it!

I'm making the image from the folder. Is "DVD/CD master" the correct option to select for the image format?

After that I'll run your command to convert it to ISO.

I've also seen this command referenced. Should I still use yours?

cd ~/Desktophdiutil makehybrid -iso -joliet -o Test.iso Test.cdr

Thanks so much!
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I'll translate what I said. Creating an iso directly from the disc no workie for your particular use case. Create one from a decrypted folder backup.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

wesg92 wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:10 am

Joliet is another common file system used on optical discs. Just about every platform reads it which makes it handy as a generic way to put data on an optical disc and have all kinds of computers be able to read it. Blu-rays use UDF, however. It would really be dependent on your player if it would read a blu-ray iSO written on with a joliet filesystem instead of UDF.

UDF is probably the right answer for a blu-ray ISO. Joliet is the right answer if you're making an ISO of data that you want to be able to read on any generic computer (although this scenario is almost assuredly better served by getting a USB stick & putting your files on there).
wesg92

Post by wesg92 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:05 am
I'll translate what I said. Creating an iso directly from the disc no workie for your particular use case. Create one from a decrypted folder backup.

Hahaha thank you! This made me laugh out loud quite a bit! LOL :)
wesg92

Post by wesg92 »

dcoke22 wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:55 am
wesg92 wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:10 am

Joliet is another common file system used on optical discs. Just about every platform reads it which makes it handy as a generic way to put data on an optical disc and have all kinds of computers be able to read it. Blu-rays use UDF, however. It would really be dependent on your player if it would read a blu-ray iSO written on with a joliet filesystem instead of UDF.

UDF is probably the right answer for a blu-ray ISO. Joliet is the right answer if you're making an ISO of data that you want to be able to read on any generic computer (although this scenario is almost assuredly better served by getting a USB stick & putting your files on there).
I tried both for the disc I'm attempting - Atmos demo disc, for playing on a Zidoo z1000 pro.

UDF - the loading screen spinner appeared and just spun forever
Joliet - Got a message saying "Can't play video"

Any other ideas?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

wesg92 wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:00 pm
SamuriHL wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:05 am

Hahaha thank you! This made me laugh out loud quite a bit! LOL :)
LOL :D This stuff can get a little complicated for sure.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

wesg92 wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:25 pm

I tried both for the disc I'm attempting - Atmos demo disc, for playing on a Zidoo z1000 pro.

Any other ideas?
I'm not familiar with the tool you're using to convert to ISO but it really should be UDF 2.5 when creating a blu-ray/uhd ISO. Is there a way to specify that with this tool?
wesg92

Post by wesg92 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:11 pm
wesg92 wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:25 pm

Any other ideas?
I'm not familiar with the tool you're using to convert to ISO but it really should be UDF 2.5 when creating a blu-ray/uhd ISO. Is there a way to specify that with this tool?
I'm not sure. I'm looking for any way to convert the MakeMKV decrypted backup to ISO on a Mac. Right now I'm using Disk Utility to create a .cdr image from the folder and then the hdiutil command line to convert that to ISO, and haven't been able to get the ISO file to play on the Zidoo. I'm open to other methods/options!