MacOS Ventura No Longer Reading Disc's

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
deperkins

MacOS Ventura No Longer Reading Disc's

Post by deperkins »

Long story short, my iMac stopped reading dvd and Blu-ray Discs in my Pioneer BDR-XD05B external drive. Last weekend, I completely wiped my iMac and reloaded MacOS Ventura and started from scratch. Once I was back up and running, I put a Blu-ray Disc in and it was working as it should. I ripped the disc that was in there and eventually reinstalled all of my software and things are looking good. That brings me to today. I put a disc in and sure enough, the iMac is back doing what it was doing a week ago. I put the disc in, the disc spins but the computer never reads the disc. In System Information, I click on USB under Hardware and my Pioneer drive shows up that it's setting it. But when I go to Disc Burning, the system says that no disc burning device was found. Has anyone run into something similar to this and found an easier fix than wiping the computer and starting from scratch????
dcoke22

Re: MacOS Ventura No Longer Reading Disc's

Post by dcoke22 »

I'm a little confused. Are you saying that your optical drive doesn't register any disc in the drive? Or does it not register a single, particular disc in the drive?

Does your drive work with a CD or DVD (which uses a different laser than a blu-ray)?
deperkins

Post by deperkins »

Doesn’t register any disc in the drive. The disc spins but that’s it. It doesn’t matter if it’s a dvd disc or a Blu-ray Disc.
deperkins

Post by deperkins »

Bought an LG drive to replace my Pioneer drive. Plugged in and…knock on wood…so far, so good!
Damfino

Post by Damfino »

Today I've experienced the same issue. MakeMKV on my 2018 Mac Mini running MacOS Ventura suddenly stopped seeing my Pioneer BDR-XD07UHD drive, but the Mini sees it in System Information. I also have an LG drive attached and MakeMKV sees that one with no issues.
I then attached it to an older 2011 Mac Mini running an older MakeMKV and older MacOS and it is seen with no issue.

I have not had this issue prior to today, and have ripped a few blu's with this drive under Ventura, but wondering if this is due to the recent 13.2 update?
Anyone else experiencing this issue?
Damfino

Post by Damfino »

Answering my own question. it is an issue with MacOS Ventura 13.2. From Pioneer's website:
Important notice: We have confirmed that our optical drives are not recognized by macOS Ventura 13.2 released by Apple on January 23, 2023. We are currently investigating this symptom. We would like to ask our customers who are using our optical drives to refrain from updating to macOS Ventura 13.2.
deperkins

Post by deperkins »

I was having issues with my drive and it had stopped working prior to the latest update, which led me to replace it.
rkhollister

Post by rkhollister »

As a test, I updated my secondary Mac (13" M1 MBP) to 13.2 and tried my Pioneer BDP-S13UBK in an external USB enclosure - works normally. I suspect the issue is with the USB interface in the Pioneer portable drives and not the actual drive firmware.
floatinjoe

Post by floatinjoe »

I've been having similar issues with a Buffalo drive. It recognizes that a disc is in the drive, but it took forever for it to do that. Also, it takes MakeMKV over an hour to open a BD.

I am also running two UHD drives and though they find the discs and are able to rip them, I am receiving the error "Can't read AACS VID from disc - most likely current AACS host certificate is revoked by your drive". The discs in question were The Hobbit 6-disc set and Hellboy & Hellboy 2.

I've never had that issue before the upgrade of the MacOS.
Cuddy2977

Post by Cuddy2977 »

I’m having the same issue: I have an Archgon-branded* UHD blu-ray drive — that was showing up in the System Profiler — until I updated to Ventura 13.2.

And now seems to be non-functional: except, of course, it works perfectly well in my aging MacPro running Lion

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=30267&p=132431#p132431
~~~
Update: I’ve JUST updated to macOS 13.2.1. That seems to have fixed the issue

* It’s a Pioneer UD04, in an Archgon case
Last edited by Cuddy2977 on Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rkhollister

Post by rkhollister »

Apple just released 13.2.1 and I saw at least one comment on MacRumors that their Pioneer UHD drive is working again.
dpunder

Post by dpunder »

Mine is working now.
Cuddy2977

Post by Cuddy2977 »

I had the same issue: my Pioneer drive didn’t show up under macOS 13.2: but does, under macOS 13.2.1
floatinjoe

Post by floatinjoe »

Everything seems to be working correctly again for me also.
Zulith

Post by Zulith »

Glad they fixed this in the very next patch, what a blunder. Just as I am purchasing new hardware too... lovely timing.