Latest version broken on Yosemite

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
DoctorHorsey

Latest version broken on Yosemite

Post by DoctorHorsey »

I tried to open MakeMKV — older version, I believe v1.16.4, as I still have makemkv_v1.16.4_osx.dmg in my Downloads folder — but it informed me the version was too old and I needed to download the latest one.

I did so (v1.16.7), and the DMG verifies fine, but when I try to open the app, I get
"MakeMVK.app" is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the Trash.
The icon doesn't show any problems (often when apps are no longer compatible with Yosemite, I get a "no access" sign on top of the icong), and trying to launch it directly from the DMG doesn't work either.

Console shows these messages when attempting to open the app:

Code: Select all

2022-06-13 12:45:20,261 CoreServicesUIAgent[5676]: Error -60005 creating authorization
2022-06-13 12:45:21,750 apsd[5810]: tcp_connection_destination_prepare_complete 2 connectx to 17.171.27.65:443@0 failed: Host is down
2022-06-13 12:45:21,779 apsd[5810]: Got connection error Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=-1004 "Could not connect to the server." UserInfo=0x7ffbb40cf5d0 {NSUnderlyingError=0x7ffbb40d6780 "Could not connect to the server.", NSErrorFailingURLStringKey=https://albert.apple.com/deviceservices/deviceActivation?device=MacOS, NSErrorFailingURLKey=https://albert.apple.com/deviceservices/deviceActivation?device=MacOS, _kCFStreamErrorDomainKey=1, _kCFStreamErrorCodeKey=64, NSLocalizedDescription=Could not connect to the server.}
2022-06-13 12:45:21,779 apsd[5810]: <APSCertificateManager: 0x7ffbb1c2d6d0>: Failed to get client cert on attempt 2, will retry in 15 seconds
2022-06-13 12:45:22,422 CoreServicesUIAgent[5676]: Error SecAssessmentCreate: The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error -67030.)
DoctorHorsey

Re: Latest version broken on Yosemite

Post by DoctorHorsey »

Still broken in version 1.17.0.
DoctorHorsey

Post by DoctorHorsey »

I tried installing the Windows version in WINE, but while installing it the "CdRom Device Arbiter service" thing failed to install, and when I start up the application, it crashes after a couple of seconds with "Fatal error occurred, program will now exit." and a more general Windows error dialog of, "The program makemkvcon.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

I tried installing again, opting not to install the arbiter thing, but it still tried to install it and failed. There's some error regarding ntlm_auth in the logs and some ssl handshake errors, but I'm pretty clueless on that. This makes me sadface :'( Im on a Mac but the Mac version no longer works, and it seems it won't run under WINE either. What to do?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I assume you're still trying to install on Yosemite?

I don't happen to have any Macs running anything that old. Is your Mac capable of running 64-bit applications?

Also, why Yosemite? I think El Capitan (the one after Yosemite) runs on all the same hardware, doesn't it?

In any case, it is likely the case that the 'app is damaged' message is coming from Gatekeeper.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202491

You should be able to get Yosemite to open it anyway. I don't remember the exact procedure on Yosemite. On more modern macOS when I run MakeMKV for the first time I seem to recall I have to right-click on the app, select open, and then I get a message at the app being unsigned (or perhaps it says it is from an unidentified developer). I select to open it anyway. Then it works as normal on subsequent runs.